ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

help with ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rb07
Newly Registered

help with ILR

Post by rb07 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi All,

I passed the life in the UK test last week and I am going to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) as a work permit holder.

My 1st visa was issued on the 8th Oct 2002 (out of country) and I have been working for the same employer since then (4 consecutive contracts). I want to apply in person at Croydon and I would like some information about that.

- My 1st visa was stamped on the 08 Oct 2002 and I started work the same day, so I can apply 28 days before 08 Oct 2007, right?

- I don't have that old passport anymore to prove my enry date (it contained my 1st and 2nd visas), only photocopies. Is this a problem or do the Home office have this on their records?

- I only have photocopies of my last 2 work permits (I have no idea where they are), but I have the correspondance from the home office granting me leave to remain.

- I have all the other required documments.

To your knowledge, could my case be processed in the same day or do they need to make additional checks by a case worker? I am a little worried about the fact that non straigthforward cases could be rejected and losse the application fees.

Thanks for your help

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:04 pm

I am a little worried about the fact that non straigthforward cases could be rejected and losse the application fees
They don't accept the non-straightforward cases when you apply in-person. And even if they do take the fees and think that they cannot handle it, then they will tell you that they will post the passport back ater the case has been seen by a caseworker. So you do not loose the cash in any way.
My 1st visa was stamped on the 08 Oct 2002 and I started work the same day, so I can apply 28 days before 08 Oct 2007, right
If it was done out of country, how did you start work the very same day?
Jabi

rb07
Newly Registered

Post by rb07 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi Docterror

Thanks for your answer.
They don't accept the non-straightforward cases when you apply in-person. And even if they do take the fees and think that they cannot handle it, then they will tell you that they will post the passport back ater the case has been seen by a caseworker. So you do not loose the cash in any way.
That's reassuring.
My 1st visa was stamped on the 08 Oct 2002 and I started work the same day, so I can apply 28 days before 08 Oct 2007, right
If it was done out of country, how did you start work the very same day?
My visa was put in my passport at the Paris consulate 08th Oct in the morning and I was at my work in the afternoon (took the Eurostar). I had a valid tourist visa at the time so I had already visited my work place the previous week to meet the people.

Thanks

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:21 pm

Hello,

Make sure that you have your employer's references covering your 5 years WP stay in the UK.

Even if PEO cannot decide you case on teh same day you may be given 28 days to submit further evidence and return to PEO or submit the application by post.

In teh worst case, you will NOT lose your fee and your case will be considred in 28 days as usual.

Good luck