ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Two Common Marriage License Questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

us.student
Newly Registered

Two Common Marriage License Questions

Post by us.student » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:58 pm

In regards to common marriage licenses:

1. Is it acceptable for a couple to apply for a common license when one of the pair are in the UK on a visitor visa, or must they first have a fiance visa before applying? A person at the diocesan registry has told us that it's fine to apply on a visitor visa. A solicitor has told us that this would not be allowed and might even be seen as deceptive by the home office.

2. Are there any waiting periods associated with a common marriage license? IE, must we live together a certain period of time before applying, or must we wait a certain period of time after receiving it before we're able to marry?

Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Two Common Marriage License Questions

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:45 pm

You can marry but this won't extend the validity of the visitor visa. Neither can you switch to a spouse visa from within the UK. I believe there is a requirement to give 16 days notice. You don't need to live together prior to the marriage.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

us.student
Newly Registered

Post by us.student » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Casa, are you saying you can marry on a visitor's visa? I know for sure that's not allowed, or in the very least, would very likely be viewed as deceptive.

I'm asking if we can sign the license in preparation for the wedding while I am there as a visitor. I would then leave, apply for the fiance visa (using the license as evidence that I intend to marry) and await a decision before continuing.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 pm

You can't enter the UK on a visitor visa with the intention to marry. You can marry but as I've already posted, you would have to leave the UK before the expiry of the visa and apply for a spouse visa from your home country. But by all means, do it your way, There's no problem with your plan.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.