ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Arrests vs. Convictions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

us.student
Newly Registered

Arrests vs. Convictions

Post by us.student » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Hello-

I have two arrests on record in the United States, however, all charges were dismissed in both cases. This means that technically, I do not have any criminal convictions in the United States (or anywhere else).

Can I safely answer "NO" to the question of criminal convictions on my application, assuming that I further elaborate on the application and disclose my arrest record and the details associated with those dismissals? This seems to be the most correct and also honest way to do it.

Thank you.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Arrests vs. Convictions

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Yes.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

us.student
Newly Registered

Post by us.student » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Amber, you have been very knowledgeable and very helpful in many threads on this forum. I don't want to be cheeky, but might I enquire as to your background? Are you a solicitor, or perhaps are you familiar with the law as a matter of having to deal with it in your own personal affairs?

Thank you again!

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Law is my background, currently academia. My practice area is currently not in immigration law, but I enjoy it, sometimes at least :wink:

The UK doesn't view an arrest as a bar, unlike the Draconian rules of the US, where an arrest is an automatic refusal for ESTA.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.