ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor using A&E

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wasiter

Visitor using A&E

Post by wasiter » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

All,

My mother is a diabetic patient and she normally carries medicines with her. She had some issue and we are forced to use A&E.

Basically, they did blood sugar test(using one touch machine) followed by blood test and prescribed Antibiotis/Ibuprofen.

When i entered the A&E i got registered her with all the details....But, we have not been charged...

Will i get a bill later?...just reading in the other thread it says that we have to clear the bill before leaving the country..is that true?

Could someone clarify this please?

Thanks

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Visitor using A&E

Post by MPH80 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 pm

AFAIK the provisions to bring in charging for A&E have not yet happened. See here: - it references implementation plans in March 2014 - but I can find no reference to those plans being published.

Had your mother been taking to a ward for an overnight stay - we'd be having a different conversation.

In either case - the current restriction is (I believe) on debts of over £2000 to the NHS. You can leave the country with a debt like that - but future visas would be rejected until it's clear. It's highly unlikely that a diabetes test and the medication would come to over £2k (although it wouldn't surprise me).

M.

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Thanks.

No, she was not admitted...just a test followed by antibiotics...Infact, i booked an appointment with GP...

2 years before it happened to my mom...on that occasion we used GP and i paid £40 followed by medicines...

£2000 for A&E...iam absolutely surprised...

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

That £2000 figure isn't just A&E - it's simply 'if you run up more than this - we'll not grant you a visa'. There are immigrants who do abuse the system - come for maternity for example - where those bills can run into 10s of thousands if there's any complexity in delivery.

And you're right - to run up a £2k bill in A&E would be impressive ... but (say) a CT scan on a head injury ... and a few xrays on broken bones ... and a blood test ... maybe some medication too ... it's not hard to see how you'd get there. I once had a private hospital show me the bill for 3 blood tests my insurance was paying for - it came to over £700. That was before the consultant bill!

There was some story about A&E in the USA charging $35 for an aspirin (on top of all their other charges). I remember hearing it when I was travelling there last year during the Obamacare implementation debate. The hospital was arguing they were charging the fully loaded cost (administrators, buildings, storage, shipping etc) of the single pill + a bit of profit. But $35 for an aspirin?!?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:59 pm

MPH80 wrote:That £2000 figure isn't just A&E - it's simply 'if you run up more than this - we'll not grant you a visa'. There are immigrants who do abuse the system - come for maternity for example - where those bills can run into 10s of thousands if there's any complexity in delivery.

And you're right - to run up a £2k bill in A&E would be impressive ... but (say) a CT scan on a head injury ... and a few xrays on broken bones ... and a blood test ... maybe some medication too ... it's not hard to see how you'd get there. I once had a private hospital show me the bill for 3 blood tests my insurance was paying for - it came to over £700. That was before the consultant bill!

There was some story about A&E in the USA charging $35 for an aspirin (on top of all their other charges). I remember hearing it when I was travelling there last year during the Obamacare implementation debate. The hospital was arguing they were charging the fully loaded cost (administrators, buildings, storage, shipping etc) of the single pill + a bit of profit. But $35 for an aspirin?!?
Here's one from the USA, guy got appendicitis, some health cover but not enough, this is just one part of his $53,000 bill...

Lord Praise all those who've actually paid towards the NHS, not many nowadays.......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Emergency treatment is non-chargeable, currently.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

wasiter

Post by wasiter » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks Amber for clarifying this.