ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

malcolm
Newly Registered

British citizenship!

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Hello everyone!
I've been married to a British citizen for 5 years, We've got a child who is (BC). And we live in the republique of ireland, never lived in the UK. Does anyone know if i can apply for british citizenship?
many thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: British citizenship!

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:50 pm

malcolm wrote:Hello everyone!
I've been married to a British citizen for 5 years, We've got a child who is (BC). And we live in the republique of ireland, never lived in the UK. Does anyone know if i can apply for british citizenship?
many thanks
Without residency I don't think so. Where are you from?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm from Morrocco, i've got an irish residency.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:03 pm

malcolm wrote:I'm from Morrocco, i've got an irish residency.
In that case I think you've already got almost the same - u have the right to live and settle here.

For you to get actual British Citizenship I think you need to be married to a BC (as you are) and to reside in UK. Thing is I don't know for how long! I think it has to be three, under UK immigration rules, meaning two years FLR on a UK spouse visa, and one year ILR then apply for Citizenship.

I'm not sure about that so wait for others.

In any case why BC? I'm just interested to know since you already have a form of European Citizenship.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: British citizenship!

Post by sakura » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:08 pm

malcolm wrote:Hello everyone!
many thanks
To Wanderer: I don't think he is an Irish citizen yet.

To malcolm: you cannot apply for British citizenship, because you need to live in the UK to qualify for naturalisation. Once you have lived in the UK for three full years, you can apply for British citizenship.

Why not apply for Irish citizenship, since you're living there? Are you on the EEA family permit?

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:10 pm

Thank you wanderer,
I am not an irish citizen, i've got a residency card.

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:15 pm

thanks Sakura.
i'm on the EEA family permit, I guess i could apply for an irish citizenship,
but it takes years for the application to be processed.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:19 pm

malcolm wrote:thanks Sakura.
i'm on the EEA family permit, I guess i could apply for an irish citizenship,
but it takes years for the application to be processed.
You've got no chance of becoming naturalised British while you're living in the Republic of Ireland.

How long have you lived there and are you eligible to become naturalised Irish now? And your son - was he born there?

There is a long processing time for Irish naturalisation but you may just have to wait.

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Been living in ireland, for the past four and a half years, and my son is British, born in the UK.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:14 pm

malcolm, is your spouse in Crown Service by any chance? That is, do they work for the UK Government in Ireland? If the answer to that happens to be yes, then you probably can apply for British Citizenship.

However it is more probable that the answer is no, in which case as already pointed out to you, you are not able to apply for British Citizenship, not without moving to the UK for 3 years.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:10 am

malcolm wrote:Been living in ireland, for the past four and a half years, and my son is British, born in the UK.
So your options are either stay in Ireland and apply for naturalisation after 5 years + however long they take to process the application.

Or abandon your Irish residence status and move to the UK with a spouse visa, and you can become naturalised British after 3 years. Processing times for naturalisation are currently short but who knows what they will be 3 or so years down the line.

If you choose to stay in Ireland, there is nothing stopping your British wife and child applying for naturalisation as well, if they like.

malcolm
Newly Registered

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 am

Thank you guys, for your replies. there is another thing, do you think i am eligible for a UK ILR?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:22 am

malcolm wrote:Thank you guys, for your replies. there is another thing, do you think i am eligible for a UK ILR?
Not ILR. If you've been living with your wife for four years outside the UK and now want to come and live in the UK, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), but you need to take, and pass, the Life in the UK test (in the UK only). Also, even if you obtain ILE, you still need to have three year's residency in the UK before you can naturalise as a British citizen. I think you might aswell go for Irish citizenship - you should be qualifying soon, and I think you could get that before you'd get British citizenship (assuming you moved to the UK now, you'd still have to wait until 2010).