ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship 6 months almost up and been offered work

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dsr87
Newly Registered

British citizenship 6 months almost up and been offered work

Post by dsr87 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice please. I have lived in the UK since April 1997 and I have had ILR since November 1998. My ILR is stamped in my old South African passport, which expired in 2002. I have never renewed my passport, because I have never travelled outside of the UK since I moved here. I recently applied for British citizenship on April 11th 2014 and I am still waiting for a decision. Is it okay that I applied with my old passport?
I have recently been offered a new job with the council, which is a great opportunity for me, however, because my only proof of ILR is stamped in my old passport, I cannot start my new job yet. Luckily they have kept the job open for me until November as they know I am in the process of applying for citizenship. I'm not sure whether to wait for hopefully being awarded citizenship or to apply for an NTL. The 6 months expected waiting time is up on October 11th 2014, so should I just wait to see if I get citizenship?

I appreciate any replies

Kind regards
Last edited by dsr87 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsr87
Newly Registered

Re: British citizenship 6 months almost up and been offered

Post by dsr87 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm

Also I would just like to add that I was only 12 years old when I moved to the UK, so I attended secondary school, college and got my degree from university here. I also have 2 children to my British partner and I have worked for the past 14 years. This is the first time that an employer has questioned my right to right, as my old passport has usually been enough evidence.