ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CoS and Visa times

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mhib
New Zealand

CoS and Visa times

Post by mhib » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi, I do need an expert to help me here please. My company want to sponsor me to stay in the UK on a tier 2 (from YMS visa). They have run a RLMT and applied for a CoS and have just received the approval. Meaning that they can make me a formal offer.

My question is below:-

- The guidance says that the CoS will have to be "used" within 3 months. What does it mean by "used". It will probably take me a month and a half to get an offer finalized, and then they can assign the CoS for me (as far as I understand).

- I know that I will have to go to NZ to apply for visa. Should the Visa application be lodged within that 3 months? Or can it be lodged say 4 months later if the CoS was assigned within this time to me? If not what sort of timeframe do I have between the time the CoS is approved, then assigned and the time I can apply for the Visa?

- Do I also have to return back to the UK within that 3 months? or can I return say in February (CoS approval September).

Regards and Thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Re: CoS and Visa times

Post by manci » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 am

The company presumably applied for a restricted CoS and received approval from UKVI. They now have 3 months to assign a CoS to you and you have to make your visa application from NZ (i.e. "use" the CoS) within 3 months of the date of the assignment.

The CoS will have a work start date and a work end date. You should agree the work start date with your sponsor and you cannot apply for the visa more than 3 months before the work start date.

You should leave the UK before your current YMS leave expires.

mhib
New Zealand

Post by mhib » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:04 am

Thank you Manci. This is perfect. What I intend to do is to have them assign it to me by the end of October. Meaning I will have until the end of January to apply for Visa allowing me to be home for Xmas. You should manage the immigration department. Your explanation is 10 times clearer than anything I can see in their document.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 am

the reference is para 23.8 in the T2 sponsor guidance:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _09-14.pdf

Once the CoS is assigned ask for a printout and check it thoroughly, especially SOC code, job description, skill level and appropriate salary.