ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Elderly family member on EEA FP

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jca142
Newly Registered

Elderly family member on EEA FP

Post by jca142 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi, I do hope you can help!

To give our story so far.....

Husband is full British Passport Holder also Belgian Passport Holder
Child same as Father
Wife is Ukrainian
Mother in law (mother of wife) also Ukrainian.

We all lived in Belgium for some years in fact that is where husband and wife were married and son was born. Wife and Mother in law had Belgian residency.
We moved to the UK in 2012 together as a family and my wife and Mother in law have a EEA FP for 5 years. Both have entitlement to work although my mother in law is 70 yrs old! My wife and I are both working and paying into the system.
Mother in law is not claiming anything, she gets no pension from the Ukraine or anything. She lives with us and we provide everything for her.
However are there any benefits she could claim? If so would this effect her renewal visa in three years time?

Any help or advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Elderly family member on EEA FP

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm not sure what she can claim, I'd have said State Pension but you need 30 years of paying in for that....

Having said that, if she did get pension/benefits, would she still be dependant? That's the whole crux of the MIL's right to reside here isn't it?

Playing Devils Advocate again, and I don't know the answer either....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....