ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sharat -- Where are you?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zeke

Sharat -- Where are you?

Post by zeke » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:20 pm

Thank you for your post 21 September 2004, about the fortunes of migrants who have been accepted into UK's HSMP program.

When will the study results be officially available?

The following two links may be interesting to you:

1) Three spirited threads on this topic on the forum boards at hsmp-services.co.uk. The first one is eight pages long! Warning -- unfortunately, some of the language is a bit rough...

http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/phpBB/vi ... &start=105

http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/phpBB/vi ... .php?t=822

http://www.hsmp-services.co.uk/phpBB/vi ... .php?t=975

2)A study sponsored by the Australian government which discussed problems substantially similar to the ones brought up in the links above, and which proposes solutions. I found the section on "de-skilling" on pages 129 -130 to be particularly interesting.

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/m ... apter9.pdf

Please let us know what you think ....
Be Well!

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:05 pm

Thank you, zeke, for linking us to these earlier 'Reality Check' posts. I had not seen them before, and found them very enlightening. And the language is not really that bad (I think anger and rough language lodged at each other in postings is offensive, but that anger and rough language lodged against a concept in ernest sincerity is perhaps not).

Although a study had been done on the HSMP '1-year later' extension applicants, I don't think the study included the numbers of HSMP who ended up returning to their native countries within that year.

Perhaps all the study is really saying: 'Of all those HSMP arrivals who couldn't find work in the UK, only one was left standing at the end of the year to apply for their HSMP extension!'

I think while we are all just sitting here in the queue awaiting any news from the HO, and wishing it would speed up already, we should meditate upon these 'Reality Check' questions:

When I get to the UK, what is my plan of attack for employment?

What is the worst case scenario? What will I do if this happens?

What is the best case scenario? What am I willing to do (And can do now) to help make this happen?

What is the most likely case scenario? What will I do if this happens?

What is the point (Time, money) at which I will have to 'cut my losses' and leave? How will I handle this (i.e., how will I save face)?

Given the answers to the above, and knowing the potential consequences of my actions, am I still willing to take the risk? What are the potential consequences of never having taken the risk vs. the potential consequences of trying?

zeke

Post by zeke » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:41 pm

Dear Julia9CA,

Thank you for your thoughtful and articulate response.

Yes -- it seems that those on this forum are fixated on the mechanics of applying/receiving approval for HSMP, because the mechanics are indeed convoluted and complex, and Home Office seems to me to be a rather opaque organization, rather chary about giving information about what exactly it wants to see on those applications...and so the emotional and intellectual focus of applicants is on the mechanics and not on the big picture, i.e., how to make the transition to UK a success emotionally, socially, financially, professionally.

Your list of questions is very wise. In fact, I am going to take the liberty of starting a new thread based on your question list. I am hoping that healthy discussion comes out of it. It would be great to see how others respond; yet another way for us to provide support to each other. I will include an additional link to a page created by a group in Australia which aims to assist the highly skilled migrants of that country to increase their chances of success.

Thank you, Julia9CA!
Be Well!

zeke

Post by zeke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:49 am

A link to a well thought out and well written report , along with recommendations, by an organization of Highly Skilled Migrants in Australia - - compadres of the HSMP visa holders in UK.

Do these issues and concerns sound familiar?

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/m ... /sub50.pdf
Be Well!

bani

Post by bani » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:08 am

hi julia and zeke,

thanks for the very helpful posts and links. i agree that julia's questions should be made a new thread - they make a good guide for people who are just about to travel to the UK on an HSMP visa.

and it would be helpful if people who are already in the UK and have started on their jobs can answer these questions - how they conducted their jobsearch, did they give themselves deadlines, did they have backup plans, etc.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:56 am

It was enlightening..... i visited the links and it is a healthy discussion about what to expect...
My story is a little different, I'm currently here on a WP, I know the local market and I think that I could get a good paid job here... so far I haven't started searching for a job because of my visa status, there is no point trying the get an interview if i'm not allowed to work.

I think many of the points risen about the HSMP are true: the 12 months initial visa is a double edged sword, no employer is going to give you a management job if they beleive you are going to leave in 12 months.

Finding a job in the UK is not easy for some professions....my wife for example, she has had a WP and has been authorized to work for the last 12 months, so far she has been to a few interviews and nothing. She has a degree but her area is marketing, local companies prefer someone local who knows the culture, slang and "ways". Even perfect "english" doesn;t cut it, you need the accent.

I think bringing the family while under the HSMP is a BIG load, if you live in the suburbs you will spend more than £ 1,500 to maintain a house for the family..... but if you are alone you will need £ 600.....If you are alone you can rent a room in any neighborhood and your costs will be much less.

Professions outside medical and IT are NOT standarized and each country has many different requireemnts, LAW, Economics, Banking, marketing....are different in each country, your employer will think twice before hiring someone who does not know the "ropes"......that's why you need an entry point, it could be a lower paid job, you can use that as a platform to get into the market, work for much less of what you are worth and then after you got the local experience, you gan get into the market....

THose are just my thoughts.....thinking with my mouth open.....

As for the references to "don't expect the same level as you had back home"......

My home country has been in a civil war since 1940, having a passport from my country is a guarantee to create problems everywere, my nationality is a joke as everyone thinks you are either a drug dealer or a thief........I used to have a maid, a big house, and all the other luxuries in life, but any day i could be kidnaped or robbed..... here is different, more restrictions and problems but I can walk home at night, and I know my daughter will be safer here......you need to measure the risks and compare what to expect here, in any case you are a guest, uninvited guest..........and you will feel like one for a long time....

Last thing..IT CAN BE DONE, IT CAN WORK..... you can come here on a HSMP , get a job and live happily ever after... it is just a combination of hard work, luck and patience....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

Boom05

Post by Boom05 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:54 pm

Well said try-one. I think its the highly skilled tag of the scheme that tends to make aspirants lose sight of the other challenges of migration. These challenges has nothing to do with the scheme itself but with other factors that are even out of the control of the fomulators. Just to repeat what others have highlighted earlier, one has to adopt strategies for the new country one is moving into, given one's background and what one hope to achieve by making the move. The only regret that could occur is if one's decision is just based solely on the bandwagon movement .i.e. ability to meet the 65 points required.
Its easy to follow the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone !

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:56 pm

Boom05
any word on your application, i think you applied round the 17th of may. anyway good luck

zeke

Post by zeke » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:22 pm

Dear Try-One:

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

A quick question: why are you not allowed to work if you have a work permit? Or is it that you don't want to look for a job under a work permit, only to switch to HSMP, which would mean that your employer would lose the money invested applying for a work permit for you?.

Your comment:
you are a guest, uninvited guest
may contain a frustrating dose of reality because it does appear to the highly skilled migrant that he or she is an invited guest -- just think about newspaper articles (sorry I don't have an exact quote) in which the skills and experiences of the highly skilled migrant are heralded as bringing fresh energy to the UK economy! Of course the potential migrant is going to think to him/herself "Hey! the UK must really want me to work there; they are even making it easier by lowering the point threshold and creating a program for those under age 28!"

(Could it be that what we are observing is a "disconnect" between what the UK government is promoting and what is actually happening in the economy and in the culture? How can potential HSMP holders be made aware of the disconnect? What can HSMP holders do to protect themselves and to help each other?)

Boom05 is right in saying that :
I think its the highly skilled tag of the scheme that tends to make aspirants lose sight of the other challenges of migration.
Let's keep this discussion going...
Be Well!

Boom05

Post by Boom05 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:30 pm

Yes fk2 Im expecting my result this week. Im doing everything possible to overcome the anxiety involved. So near and yet so far away. This is the longest week of my life. i need someone to convince me that the days are still 24 hrs each :).
Its easy to follow the crowd, it takes courage to stand alone !

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:56 pm

Zeke,
I'm currently under a WP but until I get the HSMP I can't work for any other employer.
Recruiters run away once I tell them I'm under WP, they know UK employers need to show that there is no one in the UK or EC with the same expertise....so it is a problem for employers.

The uninvited guest is my feeling.......I know they need the skills but you are still a foreigner and you need to blend in and become part of.... and that takes time.
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:58 pm

Boom05
hope everything works out. wont be long now