ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long should I wait to file for my husband to come over?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joynhope15
Newly Registered

How long should I wait to file for my husband to come over?

Post by Joynhope15 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi guys,
Hoping you can help and advise me. I have been married for just over 6 months now and my husband resides in Jamaica. I want to apply for him to come over and I was told not to file for him to come over straight away but to wait for a year. Does anybody have any advice on this and should I apply for a visitors visa or a settlement visa? All info on this from those who have gone through this is welcome. Thanks in advance

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: How long should I wait to file for my husband to come ov

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 pm

You could have applied straight after the wedding. As long as you meet all the conditions, including the financial minimum of £18,600 annual earnings and have adequate accommodation you can apply now. Ensure you submit all evidence of contact between you since you've been apart.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Joynhope15
Newly Registered

Post by Joynhope15 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Thank you!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:04 pm

You're welcome :-)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

escoppycoppy
Newly Registered

Post by escoppycoppy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:24 am

As far as I know the only reason people wait is to meet the financial requirements- you should read those very carefully. I had to wait as I need to have had the required level of savings in my account for 6 months- alternatively, I could wait longer until I will have been working at the same job with a salary of £18,600+ for 6 months.

Joynhope15
Newly Registered

Post by Joynhope15 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks! Escoppycoppy, I hear wat you are saying, I have been getting conflicting info, I have my own home with a mortgage and earn over the required amount £18,600 by about £12k. The only problem now is I don't have any savings of a substantial amount due to me paying for most of our wedding, flying my children over and myself and hotel accommodation etc. So do you think I should wait until I have saved some more or just apply anyway showing the cost of the wedding and all the receipts? I have completed all the paperwork and am in the process of gathering all the required documents, (somebody on this site gave a brilliant list she used). I would love for him to be here for Xmas but realise this might be a bit adventurous given we are nearing Oct.
Any advice or thoughts :?:

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 pm

You don't need savings to apply, as long as you meet the financial requirement and evidence can be provided, that's all you need.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Rayking is correct. No savings required. In fact if you want to stand a chance to have your husband with you here at Christmas, you should apply now.
(Casa, not CR001)

escoppycoppy
Newly Registered

Post by escoppycoppy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:43 pm

It's effectively savings OR salary- if you earn over the required amount not having savings is no problem at all. I'm only using savings (which I'm lucky enough to have) because I haven't been working long enough at my job.

The only potential issue is how long you've been working- basically...
1. have you been working at the same job for six months?
OR
2. have you earned over £18600 (before tax) over the course of the last twelve months?

If either 1 or 2 is true, you can apply immediately.

(disclaimer: I'm no expert, although I guess I have done a lot of reading for my own applicatIon. I recommend you get reading, starting here: https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk. Getting your head around it is not the easiest thing, but you'll want to understand it)

Joynhope15
Newly Registered

Post by Joynhope15 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Thank you all for your responses! I'm glad I signed up I'm getting more help and assistance than from friends and others. No doubt I will be asking more questions so please be patient with me......this is all so very daunting but I need to get this done and get it right first time, I'm so missing my husband right now :x :x
I am now in the process of trying to get all my phone records together, how far should I go back, we first met in 2007 but started dating in 2011 then married in 2014. I'm thinking from 2011?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:19 pm

From 2011 will be fine.
(Casa, not CR001)

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:36 am

I'm assuming your husband is on Digicel?
Prior to our application my husband was able to get the last 3 months worth of calls made at that time. Our plan was to go back and ask for the next 3 months just before we applied but they claimed they no longer did this :roll: It's worth contacting them via email to enquire. They said they needed a letter from the embassy to produce the records but that's only for US visas so just say that if they do try that line.

Joynhope15
Newly Registered

Post by Joynhope15 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:29 pm

You guys are so helpful. Thank you :D look out for my next question, I have so many!!

michellev1982
Newly Registered

Post by michellev1982 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:23 pm

What if you don't meet the financial requirements could u still get a visa if you have been married over 2 years does anyone know

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 am

If you don't meet the requirements unfortunately the applicant will not get a spouse visa.
The only option would be visitor's visa but then the trouble is they may refuse the visa knowing that the applicant has a spouse in the UK and may not return.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:45 pm

michellev1982 wrote:What if you don't meet the financial requirements could u still get a visa if you have been married over 2 years does anyone know
Start your own thread to ask your questions.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Joynhope15 wrote:You guys are so helpful. Thank you :D look out for my next question, I have so many!!
Be free to ask any question, better than wasting almost £1000!