ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim child benefit?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scoobydoolondon

Can I claim child benefit?

Post by scoobydoolondon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm a British born citizen and my wife has recently been granted the spouse visa for 2.5 years, stating "no recourse to public funds".

We are expecting our first child in 2015.

When our child is due, is it possible for me, as the father, to claim child benefit, solely in my name?

Or does it jeopardise my wife's right to remain in UK at the next visa extension?

thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I claim child benefit?

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 pm

Absolutely fine with no problem for your wife's visa extension. Child tax credits can also be claimed (if applicable to earnings) and as strange as it may seem, should be claimed in joint names. Child benefit claim in your name only.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Really? That's great news..

Don't know why, but I always assumed child benefit was always paid to the mother.

Still have some way to go, but when it comes to applying under my name, is it a simple process to not include the wife?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes. :)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.