ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stages in spousal visa to ILR or citizenship

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Caroline-CC
Newly Registered

Stages in spousal visa to ILR or citizenship

Post by Caroline-CC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Hello,

Sorry for such a general question, but could anyone explain to me the number of years you have to live in the UK on a spousal visa before you can apply for ILR or citizenship? I am British and my husband arrived here from Canada in September 2013. Am I right in thinking he can apply for ILR after 33 months? And am I right in thinking he can apply for citizenship after 3 years? If so, does this mean that you can apply to become a citizen rather than ILR?

Many thanks for any clarification.
Caroline

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Stages in spousal visa to ILR or citizenship

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:09 pm

If your husband arrived in September 2013 then he got his visa after the rules changed in July 2012.

For you:

He can apply for ILR after 5 years. He needs to apply for a renewal of his visa at the end of his current one - the new one will have the same length as the old one and you need to meet the standard requirements (financial, accommodation, language).

After that time - he can apply for ILR. Once he has ILR (if the rules don't change in the meantime) he can then apply for citizenship.

You cannot apply for citizenship without ILR.

Previously (and what you're mixing it up with) for those who applied before July 2012:

Anyone on a spouse visa was granted two years entry clearance. After that you could apply on ILR. After having spent 3 years in the UK they could then apply for citizenship. You still had to have ILR before applying for citizenship but the path was shorter.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm

Basically to sum it up (assuming rules don't change):

* Spouse visa issued for 2.5 years
* Apply for Further Leave to Remain for another 2.5 years before current visa expires.
* After a total for 5 years probationary period completed, apply for ILR.
* After ILR, apply for Citizenship

Do note that one of the requirements for applying for Citizenship is that the applicant must hold ILR.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Caroline-CC
Newly Registered

Post by Caroline-CC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Many thanks for the replies. All clear now.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 pm

WR1 wrote:Basically to sum it up (assuming rules don't change):

* Apply for Further Leave to Remain for another 2.5 years before current visa expires.

Do note that one of the requirements for applying for Citizenship is that the applicant must hold ILR.
Thanks WR1 - put far better than I did.

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:12 pm

As well as pass life in UK test with English level @ B1.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Rayking wrote:

As well as pass life in UK test with English level @ B1.
For the OP, this will be at the ILR application stage, not FLR(M). Since the husband is from Canada, the English requirement will already be met by being from a majority of English speaking country, so just LIUK test required for ILR/BC.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

@WR1,thanks, was too late for me to edit.you're correct with that.