ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want to move back to the UK..?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shaun0181
Newly Registered

Want to move back to the UK..?

Post by shaun0181 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Just found this site and have a quick question.
I am UK citizen, my wife of 6 years is American citizen.
We got married and have lived in the USA since.
We have since been talking about the possibilities of us moving to the UK to live.
I must admit the process for me to move to the USA for marriage was a long drawn out nightmare. I would just like to know if it will be just as difficult for us to move to the UK seeing as we have now been married 6 years with no children.
I still have family in the UK, and we are all ORIGINAL UK citizens.
I didn't leave the UK until I was 36. I am now 43 and my wife is 47.

Any advice is appreciated..Thanks!!

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:45 pm

Provided you can support yourself and your wife (both of you would be allowed to work) and you have somewhere available to live, and can show you can afford it, it's pretty easy. You need to apply for a 2 yr spouse visa for your wife. After that she can apply for indefinite leave to remain.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm

<deleted>

shaun0181
Newly Registered

Post by shaun0181 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Thanks for the quick response, sounds too easy..lol :D
Now would we apply for her 2yr visa whilst we are both still living in the states and move together or would I have to move first?

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:56 pm

No, you can move at the same time. Your wife would need to get her entry clearance 2 yr visa before you go, and you'd need to establish that you can support yourselves. It's pretty easy from the USA.

Have a look at the Immigration Rules, see the test.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

shaun0181
Newly Registered

Post by shaun0181 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Thanks avjones..!!
I see your from London. I was a pub manager with Fullers before I left.
Spreadeagle in Croydon and the Barrowboy and Banker on London Bridge.
May have to see if they will take me back (wages and accomodation).

JAJ
Australia

Re: Want to move back to the UK..?

Post by JAJ » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:49 pm

shaun0181 wrote:Just found this site and have a quick question.
I am UK citizen, my wife of 6 years is American citizen.
We got married and have lived in the USA since.
We have since been talking about the possibilities of us moving to the UK to live.
I must admit the process for me to move to the USA for marriage was a long drawn out nightmare. I would just like to know if it will be just as difficult for us to move to the UK seeing as we have now been married 6 years with no children.
I still have family in the UK, and we are all ORIGINAL UK citizens.
I didn't leave the UK until I was 36. I am now 43 and my wife is 47.
Have you got your U.S. citizenship? If not, have you thought about the consequences of abandoning your green card?

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:37 am

I was going to say that you could apply directly for ILE, bypassing the tedious spouse visa stage, based on http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721067257:

"If you and your unmarried or same-sex partner have been living together outside the UK for four years or more and you meet all the necessary requirements to stay permanently in the UK, you may be granted indefinite leave to enter. These requirements include showing that you have the necessary level of knowledge of the English language and life in the UK (see the relevant section of this guidance for more information)."

But then further down it says:

"How do I show that I have the necessary knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom?
Anyone applying to stay permanently in the United Kingdom after 2 April 2007 is required to show that they have the necessary level of knowledge of the English language and life in the United Kingdom.

You can do this by:

going on an approved English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course which includes a citizenship section, or
passing the 'Life in the UK' test.
You can only take the ESOL course and the 'Life in the UK' test in the United Kingdom. You can get more information from the Border and Immigration agency. Their contact details are under 'More advice and information' at the end of this guidance."

I guess she could come over on a visit and sit the test. Anyone done it that way round?
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 am

shaun0181, as already pointed out, the ILE might be the best thing if the Life in UK test obstacle can be passed. But what exactly do you mean by...
we are all ORIGINAL UK citizens
How many other types of British Citizens are there in that category?
Jabi

badmaash

Post by badmaash » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 am

doc terror are u online
i wanna ask you a few qs pls if you dont mind

shaun0181
Newly Registered

Post by shaun0181 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:18 pm

Docterror wrote:shaun0181, as already pointed out, the ILE might be the best thing if the Life in UK test obstacle can be passed. But what exactly do you mean by...
we are all ORIGINAL UK citizens
How many other types of British Citizens are there in that category?
Just talking about my family (born and raised in the UK).

Thanks for all of the responses. It actually sounds easier than we originally expected. My wife is English speaking so an English test shouldn't be a problem.

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:46 pm

She can take ESOL test and she will be OK with the test requirement, so she could get ILE straight away.