ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spanish visa options

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gemma23
Newly Registered

Spanish visa options

Post by gemma23 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:50 am

Hi,

I'm a 27 year old Australian. I've been in a long-distance relationship for two years with a Spanish man, conducted between London and Barcelona. My UK visa has recently ended and I have had to return home to Australia.

My boyfriend and I wish to continue our relationship together in Spain, but it is appearing more difficult than we had anticipated.

From what the Spanish consulate initially told me, the only option I have for living in Spain is a non-lucrative residential visa, and then registering as a couple once I arrive in Spain, which would give me working rights. I have since found out this morning that because I have no access to a pension/superannuation, I would need to show that I have €70K in savings - about 4x what I currently have.

What are my options? Is there any way I can get to live and work in Spain with my boyfriend?

Appreciate any input.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Re: Spanish visa options

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:57 am

There is no concept of distance relationship for getting visa under EU route but only married/unmarried partner basis. If you not marry then for qualifying unmarried visa you should have paper based proofs such as joint residence, joint bills, joint account usually for 2 years and usually such documents almost all EU countries need for unmarried.

gemma23
Newly Registered

Post by gemma23 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:08 am

Well this is problematic, isn't it, because how can we get joint bills and joint residence if they won't allow me into the country? Catch-22. Hmm.

Universal soldier
BANNED

Post by Universal soldier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:30 am

I am afraid that's the rule which everybody need to follow but Australian citizen can enter freely almost all Schengen countries so entering will not be a problem for you. But by the way Australia is very good country than many major European countries then why don't your Spanish boyfriend move there and you can live together and build joint documents to qualify for eea unmarried visa.

gemma23
Newly Registered

Post by gemma23 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 am

This is always an option, we were looking at doing a year in Spain, then a year in Australia, then deciding whose country worked best for us overall. Thanks for the advice.