ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visas and other Transatlantic Immigration Quandries

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:53 pm

If I remember correctly, the K-1 is for if you were wanting to marry in the US with the intention of settling there with your US spouse afterwards.

Like I mentioned earlier, my husband and I married and he was in the US on a VW. I belong to another forum that is specific for Americans in the UK and they had a wealth of info regarding this. There are many people that have done just as you are proposing. The main thing is, if it comes up, you prove that you are not intending to settle in the US after the marriage. If your soon-to-be wife is planning on applying for the UK spouse visa soon after the marriage, it can be fairly easy to prove that. For her application you will need to provide her with things like your lease/mortgage, payslips, letter from employer,etc, all the same things will also go to show that you don't intend to settle. So, bring all that documentation with you and have it with you on the plane so it's readily available. Also, they may not even ask. My husband had all of that stuff and it never even came up; he basically got "welcome to the United States and enjoy your stay".

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:03 pm

I PM'd you a couple of links. I hope they help.

dan_N
Newly Registered

Post by dan_N » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:53 pm

yankeegirl wrote:I PM'd you a couple of links. I hope they help.
ah yankeegirl! thanks!! what would i do without you!

dan

dan_N
Newly Registered

Post by dan_N » Tue May 20, 2008 9:03 pm

for information:

We managed the mission impossible and flew to LA (i was on a visitors visa) and then got married in Vegas. We could have married in California, which we would have preferred, but it takes at least two weeks for the marriage certificate to come through, and we only had three weeks for the whole thing.

In Vegas we picked up the the marriage license on the same day and the marriage certificate the day after getting married, thanks to some very helpful staff at cupids wedding shack who submitted the certificate immediately to the County Court Office. Naturally Vegas is set up for this sort of thing!! Personally i would advise planning it a bit better than we did as we ended up spending a week in Vegas which was intense to say the least!

After getting married we returned to LA and submitted a Visa application using Ambassador Passport Services on Wiltshire Boulevard LA (link at the bottom). The visa came back the following day - leaving my wife and I a week in Cabos San Lucas, Mexico. Not where i would have picked, but was pretty nice once you got off the beaten track.

I certainly wouldn't advise trying to pull of the same crazy trick we did, although, if you need to give it a go, three weeks is about the minimum i would allow. This gives a bit of a buffer for the bureaucratic mixups and holidays and whatnot, but not too much.

In any event - thanks for everyone's help in this thread - it would have been a damn site harder without you!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe= ... IzwCg&cd=2