ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multiple applications for spousal reunification/ Polygamy  

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DublinGirl

Multiple applications for spousal reunification/ Polygamy  

Post by DublinGirl » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Dear, Members
Can someone comment on my topic and situation plz?
I was married in ireland in 2008 got eufam
Than married to in my home country in 2010 now im irish citizen and divorced with eu citizen now I would like to sponsor my wife from non eu country does her application going to be refused according to family reunification topic below because I am curious that I was married in home country at the same time as I was here.
Thanks for reading my topic

20.1 A sponsor who is joined by a spouse/partner in Ireland will, in the event of the termination of the marriage or civil partnership (by divorce or dissolution), be ineligible to be joined by a further spouse or partner until a minimum 7 years have elapsed from the date of the first spousal permission. This 7 year waiting period will also be applied where the sponsor was him/herself granted permission to reside in Ireland as the non-EEA spouse/partner of an EU national exercising their rights of free movement. Where there are reasonable grounds to suggest that the earlier marriage or partnership was one of convenience further permissions may be refused even where the periods set out above have been exceeded.
20.2 Cases will arise where a prospective sponsor remains legally married to one person while in a de facto relationship with another. In general the expectation would be that the parties would have obtained a divorce but this is not always possible for various reasons. While the circumstances of each case need to be examined on their merits it is proposed as a general rule that the 7 year time limit set out above would apply in these cases also. In addition, the sponsor would be required to furnish documentary evidence of legal separation. The qualification period for the de factor partner would commence not from the commencement of the new relationship but from the date of the evidence of separation.
20.3 Irish law does not recognise polygamous marriage and indeed a potentially polygamous marriage is not without difficulty. Therefore, an application for spousal family reunification involving a sponsor who is married polygamously (under the laws of another state, albeit that the union is not recognised in Ireland) will be rejected.
Where a sponsor is
Page 57 of 71 married to one person only but the marriage is potentially polygamous given the capacity to contract a subsequent marriage, the spousal application may be permitted but subject to the proviso that no subsequent marriage contracted while the first union is subsisting will have any recognition for immigration purposes even in the event of the sponsor subsequently obtaining a divorce from the earlier spouse.
20.4 All marriages must be legally contracted, freely entered into and with both parties free to marry at the date of the marriage. The marriage must also be capable of recognition under Irish law for other purposes outside of the immigration system.

rachellynn1972
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Re: Multiple applications for spousal reunification/ Polygam

Post by rachellynn1972 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Dublingirl, we have answered a question like this of recent on these forum. If your marriage in your home country allows you to marry more than one wife you have no problem. What I know is that you cannot do 2 civil marriage at the same time that will be bigamy. Muslim marriage, custom marriage etc outside ireland or Europe are not like civil or church marriage in ireland. Are you a girl or a boy according to your id?
an irish citizens shouldn't be asking or referring to law that is only applicable to a non eu national unless you still think you are not an Irish. Your naturalization certificate is more than a paper an irish passport according to irish law are granted to only irish citizens. If you hold 2 nationality, inside ireland you are only considered as an irish from the day you becomes an irish citizen, your other nationality will not be taking into consideration. On the same hand if you are inside your other nationality country, they also will not considered you as an irish, they will deal with you as their own citizen, you will not get irish diplomatic cover if you are in your other nationality country from the irish embassy if they had one because irish government would consider you are in your home country and under the law of your own country there is nothing they can do. The same way it happen in ireland. If you hold an irish passport you are an irish citizen and inside your own country and under your country law. I understand your feelings but until you believed in your heart you are now an irish and act and behave as an irish not your other nationality inside ireland, you will understand clearly my points. There are old adage which says if you live in London behave like a Londoner, read London news, vote in London and appreciate London. I believe if someone made a decision to become irish, its not only for immigration purposes but to integrate more to the society you lived in. Integration of new irish citizens are very important, this will change thinking and you will know fully you are a member of the irish community.
beloved is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities that are entirely due to their race, however defined, and that, as a consequence, justify the different treatment of those people, both socially and legally.

DublinGirl

Re: Multiple applications for spousal reunification/ Polygam

Post by DublinGirl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:39 am

Dear, Rachellyn
I will always consider myself irish citizen and im proud to be irish citizen. I am very happy with your comment is helpful.
Thank you