ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer querying ILR in old passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Employer querying ILR in old passport

Post by Eaustin » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:28 pm

My Partner has ILR. His visa in an old passport, when he goes through customs he presents both his old and new passport together and there has never been any issue. This week he started a new job and the HR department say there is a problem because the visa is not in his current passport, they have apparently referred to a website for employer's guidance.

The gov.uk website has a section with a big exclamation mark that states - You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead. It doesn't make any mention about employment.

Can anyone advise?

pelen23

Re: Employer querying ILR in old passport

Post by pelen23 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:29 pm

They are wrong . I have other friends and their ILR is on their old passport and changed their jobs many times working for big organisations. Never had an issue.

pelen23

Post by pelen23 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Oh in my experience, Once the h.o endorsed my work permit on the immigration status paper ( it was a mistake) the organisation I worked for did not even bothered to ask me why it was endorsed there.their only concern should be whether he has a leave or not. Did he provided the picture page if the old passport?

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:48 am

Yes, he presented the picture page of both passports. I'm sure the employer is wrong but wondered if there was some definitive guidance or whether there were some updated regulations. Is there any benefit of applying for the NTL residence card?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Eaustin wrote:My Partner has ILR. His visa in an old passport, when he goes through customs he presents both his old and new passport together and there has never been any issue. This week he started a new job and the HR department say there is a problem because the visa is not in his current passport, they have apparently referred to a website for employer's guidance.

The gov.uk website has a section with a big exclamation mark that states - You don’t have to transfer your visa - you can carry both your old and new passports when travelling to or from the UK instead. It doesn't make any mention about employment.

Can anyone advise?
ask your partner's employer to call the UKVI employer helpline (0300 123 4699) - they will confirm that having the ILR in the old passport is not a problem

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:11 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:08 pm

There's no reason for it to be - the relevant change in the regulations came in in May this year (2014), while that announcement seems to date back to 2010. I couldn't find a corresponding regulation change for 2010 - possibly it was the interpretation of the unqualified word 'passport' that changed.

There's more discussion in the thread ILR / Work Latest ruling - for Vignette (sticker) ILR-URGENT, to which I will shortly be adding some mixed, relevant information.

Eaustin
Newly Registered

Post by Eaustin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. My partner will try and progress this with his employer tomorrow.