ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 - Any alternative option, fast track etc. ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Simplyhuman

MN1 - Any alternative option, fast track etc. ?

Post by Simplyhuman » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:28 am

Hi all,

Please can someone advise if there is any other option for MN1 applications, except from a normal postal applications route ? ---- Seems like the postal applications are taking few months and if someone has urgent travel planned, one might want to apply via a fast track route or something similar.

PS - MN1 to me seems like purely a way of making more money tbh, as it's only a formality but you have to pay good amounts for it. ALL the passport office needs to see is the child's birth certificate (UK) and the parent's BRP/Passport with ILR. So what difference does this MN1 registration actually makes! To me, nothing, just a ploy to get more money out of peoples' pockets.

Parent settled and child born in UK - can go to passport office and get a passport for the child

Parent now settled and child born last year (have no passport/citizenship) - need to do MN1 to register and prove the child is born in the UK and parent is settled, so provide a passport; what sort of sense does that make.

Would appreciate any answers to the above question and also some view on the thoughts shared here about the MN1 formality (expensive formality) !

Many Thanks :)

zeusmagnanimous

Re: MN1 - Any alternative option, fast track etc. ?

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:33 am

I dont't think there is a shorter way or an alternative to MN1 although after that instead of passport you can maybe apply for right of abode which might be a little faster.

I agree that the fees are excessive but it is more than a formality. You are only thinking about very young children while MN1 is valid for children upto well into their teens who might have good character issue and what not. There are all sorts of rules before one can be granted citizenship which have to be fulfilled.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:24 pm

zeusmagnanimous wrote:I dont't think there is a shorter way or an alternative to MN1 although after that instead of passport you can maybe apply for right of abode which might be a little faster.

I agree that the fees are excessive but it is more than a formality. You are only thinking about very young children while MN1 is valid for children upto well into their teens who might have good character issue and what not. There are all sorts of rules before one can be granted citizenship which have to be fulfilled.
Thanks for your reply and appreciate the point you are making about children being into their teens etc. But in that case one would naturally expect some better categorisation and a separate simpler process for those who don't fall in that category, such as very young babies/children. In their case, it seems an extra step with extra money but not of any real purpose. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make :)

You said 'right of abode' instead a passport; could you explain the difference between these two please?

Thanks

zeusmagnanimous

Post by zeusmagnanimous » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:14 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
zeusmagnanimous wrote:I dont't think there is a shorter way or an alternative to MN1 although after that instead of passport you can maybe apply for right of abode which might be a little faster.

Thanks for your reply and appreciate the point you are making about children being into their teens etc. But in that case one would naturally expect some better categorisation and a separate simpler process for those who don't fall in that category, such as very young babies/children. In their case, it seems an extra step with extra money but not of any real purpose. I hope you see the point I'm trying to make :)

You said 'right of abode' instead a passport; could you explain the difference between these two please?

Thanks
I get your point and I have been through this pain myself when I applied MN1 for my son. But after the whole immigration journey and spending thousands of pounds for so many years I think one gets used to the agony :-D
We can present all sorts of arguments about what the rules should be but at the end of the day like Theresa May already said "it is a privilige, not a right". Just be happy it is all over.

I am no expert but as I understand it once you are naturalized you have two options:
1. You apply for a british passport.
2. You apply for a certificate of entitlement for right of abode. This is put on you existing passport (of another country) and basically lets you enter at UK immigration. More details here https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

IMHO just apply for the passport, this might take a bit loger but will save you a lot of hassle and money in the long run. The only situation in which you should consider certificate of abode is if you really have to travel outside of UK after getting MN1 without british passport then you can apply for certificate of abode from outside of UK which will be a lot faster.
As I said before, keep it simple, delay the travel if you can and get the passport.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:12 pm

zeusmagnanimous wrote:
Simplyhuman wrote:

Thanks
I get your point and I have been through this pain myself when I applied MN1 for my son. But after the whole immigration journey and spending thousands of pounds for so many years I think one gets used to the agony :-D
We can present all sorts of arguments about what the rules should be but at the end of the day like Theresa May already said "it is a privilige, not a right". Just be happy it is all over.

I am no expert but as I understand it once you are naturalized you have two options:
1. You apply for a british passport.
2. You apply for a certificate of entitlement for right of abode. This is put on you existing passport (of another country) and basically lets you enter at UK immigration. More details here https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview

IMHO just apply for the passport, this might take a bit loger but will save you a lot of hassle and money in the long run. The only situation in which you should consider certificate of abode is if you really have to travel outside of UK after getting MN1 without british passport then you can apply for certificate of abode from outside of UK which will be a lot faster.
As I said before, keep it simple, delay the travel if you can and get the passport.
Thanks for the info and you're right that there could be many cases and sometimes many sensible cases, and these only affect those who follow the system and go through the process :))

Considering everything it's still really hard to believe that for a (assumed) simple processing of MN1 forms for young children (well babies/toddlers), why would the HO take 4.5 months :(

I think I might be again repeating myself and reiterating the same point tbh, can't help LOL

Thanks again and let's hope for the best for everyone.