ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No Income Tax Return

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

umairzh
Newly Registered

No Income Tax Return

Post by umairzh » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Hello All,

I have been employed by a UK company for short term contracts in Congo and have been working in Congo for the last 13 months. All my salary is transferred to a bank account in Pakistan My UK company does not pay tax for me since I am not a resident in Uk. I am a Non Resident Pakistani so I don't have to pay taxes in Pak, income is tax free for NRP. In Congo I have no earnings (Since all my salary goes to Pak), therefore, I don't pay tax there too. It makes impossible for me to provide ITR.

I have 12 mths signed wage slips. My Bank statement and a letter from Employer claimimg salary as claimed. I can also give original signed employment contracts between my company and me.

What do you people think?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: No Income Tax Return

Post by pantaiema » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:46 pm

You need to provide evidence that U do not need to pay tax in Congo.

umairzh wrote:Hello All,

I have been employed by a UK company for short term contracts in Congo and have been working in Congo for the last 13 months. All my salary is transferred to a bank account in Pakistan My UK company does not pay tax for me since I am not a resident in Uk. I am a Non Resident Pakistani so I don't have to pay taxes in Pak, income is tax free for NRP. In Congo I have no earnings (Since all my salary goes to Pak), therefore, I don't pay tax there too. It makes impossible for me to provide ITR.

I have 12 mths signed wage slips. My Bank statement and a letter from Employer claimimg salary as claimed. I can also give original signed employment contracts between my company and me.

What do you people think?
Pantaiema

Prav
Newly Registered

Post by Prav » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi,

I also have a somewhat similar situation. I am working in Nigeria for 2 years. I am NRI - NON RESIDENT INDIAN. I am an emploee of a French recruiting company. My monthly salary and every allowance goes to India bank directly from France. In India it is TAX Free. My company have said they donot pay any tax for me in France, no TDS etc......... no declaration to authorities.... In Nigeria, no body asked me to pay TAX. Now, when i thought to go for HSMP, I got to know of this requirement of ITR.

My question: what happens if i am a defaulter of Tax in Nigeria? I can provide all the alternative evidence etc... Can I mention it that I am still waiting for the ITR from Nigerian authorities?

Can somebody suggest any alternative?

gordon

Post by gordon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:03 pm

sorry - duplicate deleted
Last edited by gordon on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:01 am

Prav
Are you positive that you have no tax liability in Nigeria? I would think that it would be your employer who would provide that ITR to you, documenting your earnings based on work performed in Nigeria, not the Nigerian tax authorities.
AG

adindas

Post by adindas » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 am

How coincidance it is. Now there are already TWO guys have similar situation work outside their countries. Salary credit to other countries bank account, heeem heem. Because you are working/spending your money in other countries you will be loosing the currency exchange twice.
- Are there any people going to do that, probably who kwows ....
- Are not there any bank in the country where these guys working :roll: :roll:. You might be right but you need to work hard to prove it to convince the caseworker.

What is interesting the guys who have posted this message just have one post in this forum (change ID, do not know) ?. Who next ?.

Just aware in this forum I could say that "I have similar situation and I got my HSMP appeoved" how could you know that I am genunine or for real. It might be that I just will be using you as a bait and I will learn form your experience.

Good Luck then and enjoying working without Tax.

Prav wrote:Hi,

I also have a somewhat similar situation. I am working in Nigeria for 2 years. I am NRI - NON RESIDENT INDIAN. I am an emploee of a French recruiting company. My monthly salary and every allowance goes to India bank directly from France. In India it is TAX Free. My company have said they donot pay any tax for me in France, no TDS etc......... no declaration to authorities.... In Nigeria, no body asked me to pay TAX. Now, when i thought to go for HSMP, I got to know of this requirement of ITR.

My question: what happens if i am a defaulter of Tax in Nigeria? I can provide all the alternative evidence etc... Can I mention it that I am still waiting for the ITR from Nigerian authorities?

Can somebody suggest any alternative?

Prav
Newly Registered

Post by Prav » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi Adindas,

For me and many of the other Expatriates working in Nigeria, it is much safer to get all the salary transfered to our accounts in our home country and bring cash (directly in Foreign currency) when returning from vacations..... banks in Nigeria have a reputation of going bankrupt :-) It is even unsafe to use credit cards here! Moreover, my account in India is FC one and no currency exchange loss occur!!!!

What should I do to convince the caseworker?

Hi Gordon,

I have checked with my company in Nigeria and in France. The French company says that since I am not working in France, therefore, they have not paid any tax on behalf of me (PAYE etc...). In Nigeria, the law is that if u have stayed more than 183 days in a calender year, then u have to pay the tax.... But my Nigerian company did not deduct it since I am not getting salary from them, and I should have paid the tax directly to the authorities, which I haven't. Now the Nigerian company wont allow me to pay the tax with penalty since it would cast problems for them also...

Need assistance :-( Can't we just skip the tax return part. I have all the other alternate evidence?

gordon

Post by gordon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Ah, the pleasures of developing-country income-tax systems. As far as HSMP is concerned, you can skip the tax return (esp. if the tax year doesn't correspond to the period you're claiming) and submit the other evidence. Let's just hope that the tax authorities don't catch up with you before you get entry clearance - since tax evasion is considered a crime in most countries, including Nigeria.
AG

adindas

Post by adindas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:05 pm

People could write anything they want but whether the people will believe that is another thing. U might be right but U need evidenxce for that. Remeber that letter from employer is not a hard evidence. People could easily get it a dozen letter of this kind from the street in one day.

That is why they are asking U Tax doument, Bank statement, wage slip, showing the company where are U working.

Prav wrote:Hi Adindas,

For me and many of the other Expatriates working in Nigeria, it is much safer to get all the salary transfered to our accounts in our home country and bring cash (directly in Foreign currency) when returning from vacations..... banks in Nigeria have a reputation of going bankrupt :-) It is even unsafe to use credit cards here! Moreover, my account in India is FC one and no currency exchange loss occur!!!!

Hi Gordon,

I have checked with my company in Nigeria and in France. The French company says that since I am not working in France, therefore, they have not paid any tax on behalf of me (PAYE etc...). In Nigeria, the law is that if u have stayed more than 183 days in a calender year, then u have to pay the tax.... But my Nigerian company did not deduct it since I am not getting salary from them, and I should have paid the tax directly to the authorities, which I haven't. Now the Nigerian company wont allow me to pay the tax with penalty since it would cast problems for them also...

Need assistance :-( Can't we just skip the tax return part. I have all the other alternate evidence?

adindas

Post by adindas » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:27 pm

How about the popele in NIgeria themsleves. Are not there any people get pay using nigerian bank ?

U need top spned you maony in negerian currency as U r living there do not U ?.

Prav wrote:Hi Adindas,

Hi Gordon,

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:45 pm

Prav

So it sounds like you're working in Nigeria, with a salary paid from the French company into a Pakistani account, and the payslips are not coming from the Nigerian subsidiary. Their reluctance to have you pay your tax with penalties suggests that they should have been processing your payslips, issuing tax returns, and withholding taxes, but didn't.

Anyone (including a caseworker) could do a simple google search to determine that Nigeria has an income-tax system and that you were subject to tax. So your case will be much stronger if you have those payslips and your bank statements (and perhaps a letter from the employer, although I would question the intrinsic veracity of such a letter) -- however, I wonder in general terms how favourably caseworkers view applications where financial arrangements clearly indicate tax evasion.

AG

adindas

Post by adindas » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:02 pm

Gordon My friend.
I know U tend to provide a rather non confrontative answer to the quesio which sometimes raise an eyebrow.

Please answer this Question (honest :-)) :. DO U BELIEVE THIS CASE IS GENUINE ?

gordon wrote:Prav

So it sounds like you're working in Nigeria, with a salary paid from the French company into a Pakistani account, and the payslips are not coming from the Nigerian subsidiary. Their reluctance to have you pay your tax with penalties suggests that they should have been processing your payslips, issuing tax returns, and withholding taxes, but didn't.

Anyone (including a caseworker) could do a simple google search to determine that Nigeria has an income-tax system and that you were subject to tax. So your case will be much stronger if you have those payslips and your bank statements (and perhaps a letter from the employer, although I would question the intrinsic veracity of such a letter) -- however, I wonder in general terms how favourably caseworkers view applications where financial arrangements clearly indicate tax evasion.

AG