ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for baby british passport? confused ..please advice

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gagsgahra
- thin ice -

applying for baby british passport? confused ..please advice

Post by gagsgahra » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:54 pm

hi,,, i am married to eu national and i am from india..my wife got her permanent residence card this year..now my question is can i apply british passport for my child born in uk or do i have to apply naturalisation for british citizenship for my child first and then i can apply?? ..please advice

dalebutt

Re: applying for baby british passport? confused ..please ad

Post by dalebutt » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Is the EEA national the mother of the child? The child may not qualify for a passport if he/she is not already a British citizen, only British citizen can receive a British passport on application.

LilyLalilu

Re: applying for baby british passport? confused ..please ad

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 am

If your wife (the EEA national) is the mother of the child and held permanent residence at the time of the child's birth, the child is a British citizen by birth and you can apply directly for a UK passport for your child.
However, if your wife only acquired permanent residence after the child was born, the child will need to be registered as a British citizen (using form MN1) before you can apply for a UK passport for the child.

Have a look here for more details (scroll down to children section):
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.