ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which Engineering Degree Would Work the Best?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bluedude588
Newly Registered

Which Engineering Degree Would Work the Best?

Post by bluedude588 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 am

I'm in highschool and want to be able to move and eventually naturalize into either the UK or another country in Europe. Which Degree would give me the best chance of getting a work visa? I was leaning towards either aerospace or petroleum engineering.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Which Engineering Degree Would Work the Best?

Post by physicskate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:51 pm

bluedude588 wrote:I'm in highschool and want to be able to move and eventually naturalize into either the UK or another country in Europe. Which Degree would give me the best chance of getting a work visa? I was leaning towards either aerospace or petroleum engineering.
Have you ever been to the UK? I reckon you stand a better chance of living in the UK/ any other country in the EU if you study there first. No one can say what the job market/ requirements for a work visa will be in 3-5 years' time.

bluedude588
Newly Registered

Post by bluedude588 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Well I was also thinking about trying to study there and get my degree there. I would assume that there would still be a need for engineers in a few years so hopefully I would be able to still get some kind of work visa.

bluedude588
Newly Registered

Post by bluedude588 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Bump

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:14 pm

Look for the Tier 2 skills shortage category and work towards one of those if you are really keen.
Though there is no guarantee that the list will remain same by the time you finish your studies.

P.S. do your degree with your career aspiration in mind not to migrate to the UK, there are other countries and paths that can eventually get you here too if that is your ultimate goal.

Not just that priorities change as you grow and with time so you might want to become someone you want to be and enjoy doing not the fastest way to get a British Passport.