ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Application for citizen by descent (Brit mother)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LivingWithMuppetje
Newly Registered

Passport Application for citizen by descent (Brit mother)

Post by LivingWithMuppetje » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:52 am

Hello,

I am a UK citizen by descent from my mother's lineage. I was born outside of the UK. After reviewing the passport application required documents form, there is no sub category for applicants who were born prior to 1983 from a mother who is a UK citizen. The only similar category I see requires that I send in my fathers birth certificate and marriage certificate, but that won't help in my case. That won't prove anything regarding my lineage.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Thanks.
Last edited by LivingWithMuppetje on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport Application for citizen by descent (Brit mother

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 pm

If it is your mother who is British and you were born abroad before 1983, you have to apply to register as a British Citizen using form UKM and pay a fee of £80 (which is the ceremony fee). You can apply for this outside the UK, but you might have to send your passport, and applications are processed in the UK.

Once you are approved and attend the ceremony, you can apply for a passport.

You seem to be asking different question in different thread. If you stick to one thread with the whole story, you will get much better help and advice.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/member ... tje/posts/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LivingWithMuppetje
Newly Registered

Post by LivingWithMuppetje » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:26 am

Thank you for your advice on consolidating the posts. I will do that from now on.

I have already applied for my citizenship using UKM and will be sworn in next week. My issue is with the passport application, specifically the requirement for citizens born outside the UK to include their father's birth certificate and marriage license in the application process. It is my mother who is the UK citizen, not my father. I was curious if anyone else had applied for a passport under these circumstances and if they had any advice on what supporting documents to include.

Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 am

The requirement to provide parents birth certificate is in case you are British from birth and need the birth certificates to prove it.

This is not your case. Your parents documents are not required to support your passport application. Just your own documents (foreign passport and naturalisation certificate).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)