ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship/Naturalisation help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

majidch
Newly Registered

Citizenship/Naturalisation help

Post by majidch » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi, I've been married to my British citizen husband for over 10 years, living abroad. We have moved to the UK in 29 MAY 2012. I got my ILR in DEC 2013 using premium service (could have applied as soon as I arrived in the UK according to the Spouse visa). At the time the officer told me that I can apply for Naturalisation after a year from receiving ILR (so DEC 2014). But I'm now reading information on UKBA saying that residence requirement is minimum 3 years. Am I exempt from this requirement due to being married to a British citizen for over 10 years but living abroad? Please advise. One more thing is that i alrready spent more than 300 days but only spent 80 days after i got ILR.

Pls Help me understanding this process

Thank you

MPH80
Respected Guru

Re: Citizenship/Naturalisation help

Post by MPH80 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:11 pm

The official rule for naturalisation is that you were present in the UK precisely 3 years to the day prior to your application providing you also have ILR.

From what you've put - you'll be eligible on 29th May 2015.

The UKBA official who gave you your ILR -> Citizenship advice was quoting the rules for those who are not on a spouse visa. A non-spouse visa requires that you have ILR for a year and have been present in the country for 5 years.