ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non eu national marrying a french national

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nicole
Newly Registered

non eu national marrying a french national

Post by nicole » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:31 pm

me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 2yrs and have decided to get married but we don not know what is the best way to go about it, should we get married in the carribean where i am from or how do i get to move with him to france with him to start our life together??

it would be so help full if someone could help...it would be greatly appreciated :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: non eu national marrying a french national

Post by Wanderer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:25 pm

nicole wrote:me and my boyfriend have been together for almost 2yrs and have decided to get married but we don not know what is the best way to go about it, should we get married in the carribean where i am from or how do i get to move with him to france with him to start our life together??

it would be so help full if someone could help...it would be greatly appreciated :)
More info!

Where's he from? Guessing France....

Ur visa status in UK, if u r in UK...

My crystal ball is in the pawn shop tonight, due to unforseen circumstances.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:36 pm

thank you so much for your reply,

i am from an island in the carribean dominica came on student visa and now i have finished i have to leave, so i am guessing we will get married in the carribean but will i be able to go to france with him right after?

so whats gona happen inyour situation gona get married or you want he with u in the UK?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 am

And is he a French citizen?

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:25 am

yes, through and through :lol:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:30 am

nicole wrote:yes, through and through :lol:
Ahh, yes - the thread title give it away! D'oh!!

Is he in UK or france?

If in UK and he's exercising a treaty right, ie working/living/studying but not tourist in UK - EEA family permit but I dunno of u have enough time to marry in UK. If not marry abroad and apply.

If in France, then ur stuck with French immigration, and I've no idea there, except it might be tougher....

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:34 am

lol..ur too funny, well we met in the uk, where he was working for 2yrs but he has just gone back home to France and is back working...

so i guess i am stuck with the french law then...

but thank you so much for your responce and help anyway, good luck with your plight if you are in one and have not sorted it out

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks for the thanks - honestly it's more we get sometimes, especially when the answer isn't the best. Don't forget we're mostly none experts but with some experince so we're not noobs. Point is wait around, someone more knowledgable might be able to help.

Pity he's not working in UK, things would be so much easier. Having said that I'm being a bit unfair to the French, it might be quite painless.

Good luck!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:41 pm

If you plan for your wedding to be held outside France and for the wedding to be recognized by the French Government, he would have to apply for the 'certificate de capacity a marriage' from the French embassy. In order to issue you and your husband with the certificate,the embassy would require your birth certificate issued less than 3 months previously,your parent's wedding certificate (sounds crazy, but that's french bureaucracy for you!)

Then after you get married under government regulations of the caribbean island or the UK, you would have to have the wedding 'transcribed' in the french embassy using the wedding certificate issued by the foreign government.Religious wedding certificates are not recognized by the french government. After the wedding is 'transcribed' at the French embassy and a formal interview, they would issue you and your husband with the 'Livret de famille' or family booklet.Once you and your husband have a 'livret de famille', it means that you are legally recognized as the spouse of your french husband. It can be used to apply for a long stay visa from the French embassy.
Alternatively,you can go to France and get married at the local mairie.That would also require you to submit to an interview in French and for you to produce a letter from your consulate that you are legally single in your country and your birth certificate.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Or you might want to exchange notes with this person here...
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=18128

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:24 pm

oh my god are you serious, it sound like a lot to do...it a bit scary whatever happened to falling in love with whoever and making a life 2gether.....

thank you so much for your insite and information it is greatly appreciated and u have no idea what a difference it has made, i can now plan stuff and cross my fingers for the best

thank u and best wishes
x

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:04 pm

You're welcome! we were caught unawares of the whole nightmare when my Fiancee and I wanted to get married. We had to go through the whole process by trial and error... It took us almost 6 months to be able to get the permission to even get married.

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:17 pm

oh really that long, ...if you dont mind me asking what nationalities are the two of you....i would hate to be separated from mine that long but if must, thank you for your help and congratulations on your marriage

wish you amny happy years without the stress of red tape..lol, if that is ever possible

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:26 pm

nicole wrote:wish you amny happy years without the stress of red tape..lol, if that is ever possible
No such luck! We are now caught up with unreasonable red tape from the Irish government for the last 1 year.

nicole
Newly Registered

Post by nicole » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 pm

wow....after so long waiting to get married your still in red tape...unbelievable, i guess i probably have all that to look forward to

good luck though, hope it all works up fro you both, good things come to those who wait or so they say :)

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:38 pm