ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

schengen visa non eu spouse, need appointment?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cat_reversing
Newly Registered

schengen visa non eu spouse, need appointment?

Post by cat_reversing » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 am

I'm BC, husband non eu but has ILR. Want to travel to Greece for holiday.
Do we need appointment at embassy to apply for visa?

Imshzd

Re: schengen visa non eu spouse, need appointment?

Post by Imshzd » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Yes.

cat_reversing
Newly Registered

Post by cat_reversing » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:01 am

I really hope you're wrong! on website it says family members of eu citizen don't need appointment. I'm British, therefore eu, and visa app is for husband who is family member?

Imshzd

Post by Imshzd » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 am

Then try your luck.

cat_reversing
Newly Registered

Post by cat_reversing » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks for replying. we went to London VFS joint visa centre without appointment and were seen really quickly, no appointment necessary for eu/eea spouse Schengen visa to travel to Greece. I don't know about the other countries but for Greece you don't need appointment in this circumstance at this time. anyone reading this for advice, please check greek embassy/vfs page for current information.VFS fee £17.20 saved the hassle of the greek embassy.

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:20 pm

You have two options (for both regular applications or EU/EEA spouse applications):

1) A direct application via the embassy thus bypassing VFS or TLS all together. Most embassies require you to make an appointment for this. An appointment must be granted to you within 2 weeks of the request being made. Downside: you may not wish to wait (maximum) 2 weeks or an embassy may say you cannot get an appointment within 2 weeks or at all (which would be a violation of the Schengen visa rules). Upside: often more experienced staff since these people actually process visas and should know about them, especially rare or more complicated visas.

2) Go to an outsourced visa center, an appointment might not be required there. This could mean you can apply sooner then via an appointment at the embassy. Downside: service fee applies. Possibly less experienced staff who do not know all the rules. They may be asking too many documents for the rarer type of applications such as a EU/EEA spouse visa (asking for hotel or transport reservations/bookings for instance, wishing to see a UK residence permit while this is not relevant at all for EU/EEA family member applications). VFS or TLS may wrongfully advice people to remove/add more documents, even though they are just a handling agency that forwards the paperwork to the embassy.

In practise embassies themselves are sometimes asking too many things by default (many seem to ask for a UK residence permit valid for 3-6 months upon return, some wish to see transport tickets, others wish to see documentation that the marriage is also accepted in the country of the spouse etc. ) or are reluctant to handle directly with applicants even though they are obligated to accept direct applications. Trying to push people to VFS or TLS with cunning (misleading) or outright wrong information, saving the embassy the time and thus money to deal with applicants, burdening the applicant with extra costs.

What one prefers would ofcourse be different for each applicant. How easy (convenient) is it to reach the embassy or VFS/TLS? Is it cheaper to go via VFS/TLS or the embassy? How much time do you have (do you have max 2 weeks plus max 15 calenderdays visa processing time?), what is the general attitude of the person receiving you at their desk? etc. etc.

crusador0408
Member of Standing

Post by crusador0408 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 am

You can. I just did this morning for Iceland visa with Denmark consulate via VFS Join App Centre. No appointment needed. But as someone said above, processing fees etc are pain. They say visa is free of charge but these VFS guys shoot you with a bill of about £40.70 if am accurate.

However, it's down to different consulates and VFS offices in my experience.
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.

Donutz

Post by Donutz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Well, if you yourself chose to use the services of VFS, then they can charge a service fee, but as you probably know, these external services providers are entirely optional and the embassy has to inform people that they can either apply directly (also for appointment reservations) OR chose the external provider (and pay a fee for those who prefer not to go via the embassy).

If, as some embassies do, push you do VFS then they are at fault and a service fee should not be charged. If you did, yuo should get it back.