ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shokishoki
Newly Registered

US Marriage

Post by shokishoki » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:16 am

Hello all,
I ama Nigerian on a HSMP visa. I also have a valid 2 year US tourist visa which expires in 2009. My fiancee is English and we are planning to get married in Florida next year. Will the marriage be considered legal in the US and UK? I know this might not be appropriate for the general immigration forum but the folk on here seem the most knowledgeable in their replies. Thanks in advance for any info.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:47 am

Check whether the marriage is considered legal in the US. If it is, then it is legal here as well.
Jabi

badmaash

Post by badmaash » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:50 am

hi doc terror

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 am

As long as you follow Florida's marriage requirements, the marriage is legal. Have a look here http://www.wedalert.com/content/articles/married_fl.asp

If you know where in Florida you wish to marry, get in touch with their Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court and find out what their procedure is for getting a marriage license and if there's any waiting period.

hughjars99
Newly Registered

Post by hughjars99 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:51 am

My wife is American and I am British and we were married in Kissimmee FL. We had to apply for our marriage licence in Oceola County before we married and after it was granted we had to wait 3 working days before we could marry. We didnt have to make an appointment with the Clerk of the County, we just turned up. Check to see when the County office is open (we married over Easter weekend so we needed to check on which days were considered "holidays" and which were "working days"), pay your licence fee, get your licence, wait the 3 days and then get hitched.

Worked out perfectly for me and my wife, I have no doubts it will for you too.