ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN ON MEDICAL GROUNDS???

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

trasar
Newly Registered

INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN ON MEDICAL GROUNDS???

Post by trasar » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:40 pm

Is it possible to apply for indefinate leave to remain on medical grounds? My friend has been in the UK for over 5 years on a student visa. He has sickle cell and gets quite poorly, which in turn effects his ability to study full time and work to support himself.

What he would like to do is give up his studies or reduce his hours in order for him to be able to work more hours to support himself financially.

Any help or advice regarding this would be appreciated

Thanks

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:11 pm

Extremely unlikely. Where is he from?
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN ON MEDICAL GROUNDS???

Post by pantaiema » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I am quite confusing here. Normally study or work carry the same load. So if s/he is sick how could be able to wokr even more time ?

Did s/he get a referral from the GP that s/he will not be able to continue his/her study ?
trasar wrote:Is it possible to apply for indefinate leave to remain on medical grounds? My friend has been in the UK for over 5 years on a student visa. He has sickle cell and gets quite poorly, which in turn effects his ability to study full time and work to support himself.

What he would like to do is give up his studies or reduce his hours in order for him to be able to work more hours to support himself financially.

Thanks
Pantaiema

IMMIGRATION LAWYER
United Kingdom

Post by IMMIGRATION LAWYER » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Certainly NOT.

The Home Office will be relying on the case of N.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: INDEFINATE LEAVE TO REMAIN ON MEDICAL GROUNDS???

Post by sakura » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:37 pm

trasar wrote:Is it possible to apply for indefinate leave to remain on medical grounds? My friend has been in the UK for over 5 years on a student visa. He has sickle cell and gets quite poorly, which in turn effects his ability to study full time and work to support himself.

Thanks
Can you provide more details - where is he from, who is paying for his tuition fees, how long he's had SCD, how many hours of work does he undertake?

trasar
Newly Registered

Post by trasar » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 am

Hi

thanks for replying, he pays his own college fees from his earnings, he can only work part time because his course is classed as full time, he has had scd since a child but it has got progressively worse since he been in UK and he has to wear special dressings on his feet as he has sores on the skin that wont heal due to the scd. H does see the doctor for this as ha has to have his dressings changed regularly. Oh and he from Jamaica. Hope this clarifies things and you can advise me!!!!

Thanks for your time

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:00 am

trasar wrote:Hi

thanks for replying, he pays his own college fees from his earnings, he can only work part time because his course is classed as full time, he has had scd since a child but it has got progressively worse since he been in UK and he has to wear special dressings on his feet as he has sores on the skin that wont heal due to the scd. H does see the doctor for this as ha has to have his dressings changed regularly. Oh and he from Jamaica. Hope this clarifies things and you can advise me!!!!

Thanks for your time
He can only work part time because the student visa only allows 20 hrs a week for work. How can he afford the uni fees is what the HO will be wondering.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 pm

I can't see any chance based on what you've said.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:56 pm

Agree with everyone above, very unlikely

He would unfortunately need to continue for another 5 years before he has chance to apply based on Long Residency (10 years)

All the best
Magsi