ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit on Visa4UK -- unnecessary questions!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CatV
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit on Visa4UK -- unnecessary questions!

Post by CatV » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:44 am

I'm a US citizen, and my wife is a US and Irish citizen. We're planning to relocate to the UK and I'm doing the EEA Family Permit form on Visa4UK.

Here's the thing. There are DOZENS of required questions that I should not have to provide answers to. I don't know what to do. Do I do all this extra work and provide them info they're not entitled to, or do I put "N/A" in a million places? Which makes me look worse?

Because we are moving together, she has Initial Right of Residence and doesn't have to provide any work or accommodation info.

None the less, the Visa4UK online form wants to know about all of the following:
Income, her employer's info, savings, accommodations, registration certificate, on, and on, and on...

Many of these are required, and some are click boxes. For example, I MUST select an answer to the "Do you have income from savings, investments..." in the form of "yes" or "no," and then they want an amount.

What am I supposed to do with all this?

Has anyone seriously just put "N/A" into ALL of these and still gotten their visa?

This is scaring the crap out of me.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: EEA Family Permit on Visa4UK -- unnecessary questions!

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:08 am

Yes, you can put N/A or better "N/A for this case of EEA Family Permit". But if you a US citizen, why bother with an application? Just get the EEA stamp at the airport. Check Q1 in the FAQ for details.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Jambo wrote:Yes, you can put N/A or better "N/A for this case of EEA Family Permit". But if you a US citizen, why bother with an application? Just get the EEA stamp at the airport. Check Q1 in the FAQ for details.
Mostly to buy myself flexibility. If the EEA2 application goes over the planned time, I don't get automatically booted out at 6 months and 1 day.

The stories I've read about getting the Code 1A stamp are very hit-or-miss. I don't want a coin toss to be my only plan for staying with my wife. That strikes me as a needless risk.

If something goes wrong with my EEA Permit, I will try the Code 1A route. But only because I will likely be out of time to apply again, by then.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Just of make it clear - you won't get booted after 6 months. The EEA regulations are not like immigrations rules you are familiar with. Rights are obtained automatically and having a Residence Card is optional. You won't become illegal regardless if you apply for EEA2 or not (assuming the EEA national is exercising treaty rights).

Not sure about the hit or miss stories. Didn't hear any miss stories.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Jambo wrote:Just of make it clear - you won't get booted after 6 months. The EEA regulations are not like immigrations rules you are familiar with. Rights are obtained automatically and having a Residence Card is optional. You won't become illegal regardless if you apply for EEA2 or not (assuming the EEA national is exercising treaty rights).

Well, is there any risk to applying first? Does it get marked in my passport that I applied recently, if I get rejected for doing it wrong or something and arrive to get a Code 1A?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 pm

CatV wrote:
Jambo wrote:Just of make it clear - you won't get booted after 6 months. The EEA regulations are not like immigrations rules you are familiar with. Rights are obtained automatically and having a Residence Card is optional. You won't become illegal regardless if you apply for EEA2 or not (assuming the EEA national is exercising treaty rights).

Well, is there any risk to applying first? Does it get marked in my passport that I applied recently, if I get rejected for doing it wrong or something and arrive to get a Code 1A?
There is nothing that can go wrong as long as your wife doesn't have British citizenship. If she is Irish only, you are married and you provide proof of that relationship, the British Embassy cannot (under EU law) refuse your application.

I am an Irish citizen and my partner is Chinese. His EEA FP was issued really quickly and we've had no issues whatsoever.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:31 pm

chaoclive wrote:There is nothing that can go wrong as long as your wife doesn't have British citizenship. If she is Irish only, you are married and you provide proof of that relationship, the British Embassy cannot (under EU law) refuse your application.

I am an Irish citizen and my partner is Chinese. His EEA FP was issued really quickly and we've had no issues whatsoever.
Ok. So it shouldn't matter even if I have "N/A" with "EEA FP" or citing the directive or "initial right to reside" in, like, 30 places? Because that's how many there are.

I will answer the question on savings and provide our joint account, just to show another sign of relationship. But other than that, so far I am not answering anything on residence, jobs, income, etc.

She is Irish only.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:21 am

CatV wrote:
chaoclive wrote:There is nothing that can go wrong as long as your wife doesn't have British citizenship. If she is Irish only, you are married and you provide proof of that relationship, the British Embassy cannot (under EU law) refuse your application.

Ok. So it shouldn't matter even if I have "N/A" with "EEA FP" or citing the directive or "initial right to reside" in, like, 30 places? Because that's how many there are.

I will answer the question on savings and provide our joint account, just to show another sign of relationship. But other than that, so far I am not answering anything on residence, jobs, income, etc.

She is Irish only.
That's exactly what I did when my partner applied. I am well aware of my rights and not afraid to tell the Embassy/Home Office or whoever else I need to tell.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:30 am

chaoclive wrote:
CatV wrote:That's exactly what I did when my partner applied. I am well aware of my rights and not afraid to tell the Embassy/Home Office or whoever else I need to tell.
Thank you so much. We've printed off the directives as well, and she is going to cite them in her cover letter.

It is really obvious that they're trying to mess with people here. They're getting into my head with it too, even though I know they don't have the right to do all this stuff. I'm going to make sure it's all in our letters.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:36 am

CatV wrote:Thank you so much. We've printed off the directives as well, and she is going to cite them in her cover letter.

It is really obvious that they're trying to mess with people here. They're getting into my head with it too, even though I know they don't have the right to do all this stuff. I'm going to make sure it's all in our letters.
I highlighted the relevant bits, e.g initial right of residence, no requirement to provide financial information etc.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:09 am

CatV wrote:

No risk but just a waste of time and money IMHO. Much simpler to get it in the airport on arrival.

Also the chances for refusal are minimal in the airport as you are already here (even if they want to refuse, they need to let you in to appeal in country) which is not the case abroad.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Jambo wrote:
CatV wrote: No risk but just a waste of time and money IMHO. Much simpler to get it in the airport on arrival.

Also the chances for refusal are minimal in the airport as you are already here (even if they want to refuse, they need to let you in to appeal in country) which is not the case abroad.
Thank you.

As the visa is free and I already have all the docs, I think I will go ahead and apply. We're going to have our cat with us, and anything that speeds up our time in the airport and makes things as uncomplicated as possible is a positive.

It's good to know I can appeal in country if it comes to that. But if this shortens things up by an hour, it's worth it -- she's going to be crated for 12 hours as it is. The cost of postage is immaterial to us.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Your choice.

You are aware that this is not a postal application and it requires in person visit to the visa centre?

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Jambo wrote:Your choice.

You are aware that this is not a postal application and it requires in person visit to the visa centre?
Nope, it doesn't. All applications go through NY. Even if you're actually in NY, I'm pretty sure they won't even do in-person. I kind of wish they did. I'd rather blow the air fare than wait weeks.

I have to do a biometrics, but again, it's worth it to us to potentially smooth our arrival.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:43 pm

CatV wrote:
Jambo wrote:Your choice.

Nope, it doesn't. All applications go through NY. Even if you're actually in NY, I'm pretty sure they won't even do in-person. I kind of wish they did. I'd rather blow the air fare than wait weeks.

I have to do a biometrics, but again, it's worth it to us to potentially smooth our arrival.
We had to go to the Embassy in person (in China), not sure what it's like in the US though.

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:34 am

chaoclive wrote:We had to go to the Embassy in person (in China), not sure what it's like in the US though.
The US system requires the application to be done online and mailed out to NY. They don't do any in-person applications, even if you go to the consulate.

I looked. I'd rather have done it in person.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:35 am

CatV wrote:
chaoclive wrote:We had to go to the Embassy in person (in China), not sure what it's like in the US though.
The US system requires the application to be done online and mailed out to NY. They don't do any in-person applications, even if you go to the consulate.

I looked. I'd rather have done it in person.
OK. Good luck :)

CatV
Newly Registered

Post by CatV » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:02 pm

chaoclive wrote:
CatV wrote:OK. Good luck :)
Hey there! I just wanted to thank you so much for giving me a bit of confidence in doing the application.

I just got my visa back today! It only took about 7 business days. Yay!!