ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PIO application form and addresses

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

PIO application form and addresses

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi,

I am slightly confused about the addresses to be filled in on the PIO form.

I find the meaning of "Present Address" and "Address in India (verifiable)" (presumably the address in India of a close relative) unambiguous, but what is "Permanent Address" supposed to mean? After all, ownership of any property is not "permanent", in the sense that you can always sell it off, and is this "Permanent Address" supposed to be in the UK or in India?

I am inclined to put my "Present Address" (UK address) as my "Permanent Address" as well, but I just don't want to end up violating some guideline (unavailable in the public domain), and jeopardize my application.

Thanks,
CD

Saanvi

Re: PIO application form and addresses

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi,

Which address did you put finally in the Permanent address?

Regards,

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:17 pm

The one in India. And my application has been processed, and I have received my PIO card.

Regards,
CD

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Great thanks.

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi CD,

Would appreciate your reply on this one please.

I am applying for the PIO card for my child (who is a minor) and is applying on his own behalf and not on his parents. I (mother) and father (both have Indian passports), don't have an ILR so this is a PIO application ONLY for him as he is eligible on his own. My question is: while applying for your application which passports did you mention in the section 13 which says
13. Have you or your parents or grand parents held Indian passport? If ‘yes’ please give details below: Please enclose photocopies of relevant documents
- Did you mention and attach your parents or grandparents passport photocopies (whoever had Indian passports)?
- Did you also paste one of your pics on the form and also took a copy of the form with the photo pasted on it or just attached all the pics in an envelope?
- In the first question a) Name of the applicant: did you put your full name with surname or just the first name. Just to mention b) asks for Surname at birth (if any).

I am going for a postal application so the questions.
I am confused that for a minor do we need to mention and attach copies of parents passports? Thankyou.

Regards,

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi,

I am slightly confused here. As far as I understand it, a child born in the UK after 1 January 1983 is a British citizen by birth only if
(a) at least one parent is a British citizen , or
(b) at least one parent is settled in the UK

(see : Policy paper Chapter 8, section 4a: children born in the UK who are not British citizens, https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... h-citizens )

Neither (a) nor (b) are true in your case, so as far as I can tell, your child is an Indian citizen, and you need to apply for an Indian passport , and not a PIO card for your child from an Indian High Commission in the UK ( see the section Passports for Children under 15 years (Minor Child) on https://www.hcilondon.in/passport.html).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
CD

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:44 pm

HI CD,

My son when born was an Indian citizen and had an Indian passport. Now I have an ILR so I applied for his British passport as he was eligible to apply for British Citizenship as soon as I had an ILR.
My son (now 7 years old) has been issued a British passport just a few months back and I have also received his Indian passport surrender certificate recently.

Applying for a PIO as he is eligible to apply for a PIO card (to be able to travel to India without any visa) on his own and so the above questions related to the PIO form. Hope this helps.

Regards,

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi,

Am sorry for going off on a tangent, and for misunderstanding the facts of your case.

Going back to your original query:

(My wife and I are both naturalized British citizens, and we applied in person (but my wife went alone to submit the applications)).

Section 13:
My parents and grand parents were all Indian citizens, but never applied for a passport (and this goes for my wife as well). So all we submitted was photocopies of our own (formally cancelled) Indian passports. In your child's case, I believe you should send in photocopies of your child's passport, your own and your husband's. If your or husband's parents held Indian passports, then technically, the rules require you to submit photocopies of their passports as well.

Pictures:
We did not paste them on the form, my wife handed them over with all other documents.

Name:
If my name is Chris Danielss (given at birth and unchanged since), when I filled in the form, I filed
1(a) : Chris Daniels
1(b) : Daniels
1(c) - left blank

I know just how confusing how all of this is ! (and I am quite used to precise instructions, but this is the Indian bureaucracy we are dealing with).

Regards,
CD

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm

Thankyou so much CD. Your information really helps. I agree precise instructions are missing.

Regards,

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi CD,

I am divorced so should I mention it as I don't have any contact with my son's father and don't know his whereabouts too so can't provide his passport copies.

Do I need to produce copy of divorce document and my child's residence order.

Sorry for too many questions.

Regards,

carpe_diem_247
Newly Registered

Post by carpe_diem_247 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:19 pm

You needn't apologize for your questions, they are all perfectly valid. Unfortunately, the only advice I can give you is to contact the High Commission of India directly, assuming you have not done so already.

If I were in your situation, I would (in this order)
(a) contact the High Commission directly, and seek a clarification, on email. If they do respond, attach a copy of reply with the application, so that they are clear that you have followed the intructions as provided by them.
(b) call them up and ask them. Then attach a letter with your application explaining your circumstances, and clearly stating that you have followed their instructions as given verbally on phone.
(c) Go the High Commission with all the paperwork you have ( available passports / divorce document / your child's residence order ...) with their photocopies, and a letter detailing your circumstances. Best case scenario - they accept your application, and you are done with the process. Worst case scenario - you can't apply, but know very clearly what to do when you make the second trip.

I would try (a), if that does not work , try (b), and if neither works, try (c).

In a purely algorithmic sense, this is probably the most optimal approach (sorry, have been an engineer for way too long now ...). Tedious, but seemingly unavoidable.

Hope this helps, and best of luck for you application.

Regards,
CD,

Saanvi

Post by Saanvi » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Tha kyou CD. That really helps.