ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job hunting in the UK on a visitor's visa?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

powerhaus
Newly Registered

Job hunting in the UK on a visitor's visa?

Post by powerhaus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:15 pm

Hey guys,

I've searched the UK Home office site and scanned the topics here, but am drawing a blank, hopefully someone can help.

My GF is an American and is a qualified social worker, a Home office skill shortage listed occupation. She would like to come to the UK to work in her field but obviously will need to find a job before a work permit can be applied for.

She has tried agencies but has had no luck (she wishes to work in N Ireland where I am), I have many contacts in the SW field all of whom confirm that she would be snapped up were she to present herself in person.

Obviously we want to remain legitimate in her search for work and I have been told unofficially that it is OK to job-hunt whilst on a visitor's visa. I cannot find any official conformation of this and I would appreciate any direction that you may give. Reference to an official Govt website URL or publication would be ideal.

I've been trawling the web for days trying to find this info without any luck. Many thanks in advance for your help

Paul

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:24 pm

Where there is a will there is a way.

powerhaus
Newly Registered

Post by powerhaus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:44 pm

Hey Checkmate,

Many thanks for your rapid response. Because it doesn't specifically mention job hunting per-se can I assume that the para quoted below from the doc to which you linked indicates that my friend CAN indeed legitimately look for work?

<quot>
As a visitor you can do the following:
go to meetings and trade fairs, buy goods, and negotiate and complete contracts with UK businesses
</quot>

Many thanks CM, there's a lot riding on this for us both.

Keep her lit!

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:53 pm

you/ she can look for work on a visitors visa. only when it comes to applying for WP will she need to leave the country (depending on which visa she would have come in on).

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:18 pm

It is against the immigration rules to enter the UK for job hunting/ job seeking purposes as this is inconsistent with the 'temporary' nature of this class of entry usally granted for a maximum 6 months for each entry (irrespective of the validity of any multpile entry long term visitors visa e.g. 2 or 5 yrs). If the IO deems that you are here to job hunt either through questioning or other investigation he/she will refuse you entry. However you can enter the UK as a visitor to attend a pre-arranged interview - you must show the IO the relevant paperwork.

She is having problems with employment agencies because they are not eligible to apply for a WP on her behalf. WP's require a direct relationship between sposnor and employee. She should contact relevant employers directly who will sponsor the WP - alternatively depending on her qualifications, skills and experience with commensurate income she can apply for the HSMP scheme. The HSMP processing queue is pretty long (24 weeks and increasing) but she is likely to be expedited if she gets a job offer in this shortage field. The WP is going to be faster and she can switch to HSMP 'in country" once its approved.

Likewise if you are committed enough in your relationship you can pursue the spouse or unmarried partner route for her to come to the UK. Such entry allows you to live and work for the initial 2 year visa granted (with a prohibition on welfare acess) and indefinitley if settlement (permanent residence) is subsequently granted.

powerhaus
Newly Registered

Post by powerhaus » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:11 am

Hey Checkmate, F2k, Kayalami

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

As you might expect, I am a little confused by the differences of opinion expressed in the thread. I am wondering if there is some latitude in interpretation of the legislation.

If I wish to speak with the UK immigration authorities on this matter, is there a particular section or department where I may call to receive a response outlining the official position? I'm unsure of the exact roles of the home office and UKvisa, perhaps one is policy and the other is delivery.

Thanks again

Paul

EdgeHillMole

Post by EdgeHillMole » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:09 pm

United States citizens coming to the UK directly from the US for visitor or business purposes of less than 6 months do not need a UK visa. Just need a passport.

You said your GF is American -- Do you mean US Citizen coming from the US? If so, it may be easier to travel on business/visiting than to travel on the 'Fiance and Partners' program, since I think the latter requires a Visa, while the former does not.

One more important note: If you look elsewhere on this board, you will see several discussions about how much easier it is to get a job interview from within the UK than while in a foreign country. Think this has something to do with the face-to-face contact, and the fact that employers perceive an applicant as already being there and as a less-difficult-to-obtain employee.

I myself have removed the foreign address from my CV. Before the address removal: No e-mails from UK employers. After: Numerous e-mails from UK employers.

A little deceptive? Perhaps. However, am getting a lot of good leads so that when I eventually do get to the UK (Hopefully on the HSMP), I will have lots of potential places to seek work.

zeke

Post by zeke » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:59 am

Powerhaus,

Of course your GF knows about the new requirement for social workers to be "registered" in the UK? My understanding is that after April 2005 it will be illegal for anyone to present themselves as a social worker without this registration.

This is another big application -- the packet weighs darn near a pound!!(US measure of weight, not UK currency...)

Go to the General Social Care Council (GSCC) website at www.GSCC.org.uk for more information.

Let us know how it is going ...
Be Well!