ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

black_bird

British Passport question

Post by black_bird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi all, thank you very much for everyone's input, i have attended my citizenship ceremony today, after 7 long years.

I would like to apply for a British passport asap, as I intend to travel using the British passport over xmas :) I am however unclear what are the correct documents to supply. On gov.uk it says the following:

Born outside the UK
You must send:
your naturalisation or registration certificate
the passport you used to come into the UK or foreign passport you’re included on

Now the passport i used to come into the uk has now expired as I have a new one, I am traveling on the new one in Nov, so I cant send it in. Can someone confirm with me, it is okay to send in the old passport which is now expired and invalid, as it has the original entry visa?

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Re: British Passport question

Post by go2khurram » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:45 pm

You have to send all current and expired passport to apply for British Passport. They normally send you back within a week. So If you are planning to travel in early Nov then don't apply now else if you apply tomorrow you will get you passport back around mid nov. but keep in mind you also have to go for interview.
*please do not take this as professional advice**

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:49 pm

thank you very much! sounds like i should apply next year in Jan given that I would need to travel in both Nov and Dec.

t123456789

Post by t123456789 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:30 pm

I don't think the advice on gov.uk is correct. The guidance from HMPO states "all uncancelled passports". So a passport can have expired but not have been cancelled, cancelled passports have the top right corner cut off.

But I don't think you'll get your current passport back before early November even if you apply tomorrow, or you'll be taking quite a risk.