ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long does it take for a EEA family permit to be given.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

NithyaN
Newly Registered

How long does it take for a EEA family permit to be given.

Post by NithyaN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:26 pm

I am going to send my application on the 1st December since I am a dependant of my father whom sponsored me from Srilanka back in 2001. I have been living in UK for 9 years and 7 months, I was given my family permit off EEA2 in 2007 till 2012. We did not apply for my residential card since then because of my father whom wasn't working at that time till now. He has got himself a job and he is starting tomorrow. Because of that reason I will be apply for my residential card from December, however I am trying to get back in University from February 2015 is there any possibility I will be getting any good news such as I have got my residential card once again or will it take months and months since my father only recently started working ? I would be grateful if someone could let me know what will happen in this situation.
Last edited by NithyaN on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: How long does it take for a EEA family permit to be give

Post by chaoclive » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm

It seems you have mixed up the terms. An EEA family permit is issued OUTSIDE the UK (e.g. at a British embassy). A residence card is issued INSIDE the UK (via form EEA2). Did you mean you were given a residence card from 2007-2012? (I guess so). You should make yourself familiar with the terms as it's hard for others to give you advice when we aren't sure what you mean.

The Home Office have up to 6 months to process your EEA2 residence card. It's hard to say exactly how long yours would take, but it is unlikely that you will have it in February if you only apply in December. I think your dad will have to have his contract of employment/pay slips/a letter from his employer to prove that he is working. I would recommend that you provide as much info as possible, at least a pay slips and a letter form the employer. Don't forget, the Home Office will contact the employer.

They should issue you with a certificate of application (COA) a few weeks after the application on form EEA2. this should (hopefully) state your right to work.

Finally, what is your dad's nationality? If he is British the above won't work for you. If he is from another EU country then it should be fine.

NithyaN
Newly Registered

Post by NithyaN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes Chaoclive I was talking about EEA2 sorry I am not familiar with those terms very much. I was given EEA2 in 2007 up until 2012. And my father is a Dutch Nationality holder not a British. Due to his illness and other issues which he was going through he did not work for couple years constantly but he is getting back into work this this month. Yes if one work slip is enough I might start my application from end of November. Also I have a question if I am given my residential card from the Home office will they stamp my residential card from December, January time or after. Since I will be needing to show the date which the residential card will be issued to the student finance.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:28 pm

NithyaN wrote:Yes Chaoclive I was talking about EEA2 sorry I am not familiar with those terms very much. I was given EEA2 in 2007 up until 2012. And my father is a Dutch Nationality holder not a British. Due to his illness and other issues which he was going through he did not work for couple years constantly but he is getting back into work this this month. Yes if one work slip is enough I might start my application from end of November. Also I have a question if I am given my residential card from the Home office will they stamp my residential card from December, January time or after. Since I will be needing to show the date which the residential card will be issued to the student finance.
A payslip PLUS letter will be best.

The date will be the date when they issue it. Hard to say. It will depend on when they make a decision. If they decide on 5th January, the card will say 5th January.

As you have been in the UK as the family member of an EEA citizen for the last 9 years, you should be able to get a loan as it stands at the moment. I'm not clear on how this process works, but you should drop the relevant student finance company (it might be the SLC or your local education authority, depending on where you are based in the UK) to ask this question specifically. The final decision will be up to them as to the documents that they require. I guess you will be able to prove that you have been here for the last 9 yrs? E.g. bank statement/P60s/bills etc?

NithyaN
Newly Registered

Post by NithyaN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Yeah sure the letter can be proved to the home office. unfortunately if I do not have the right document and residential card before the starting date of the course I won't be getting my student finance. Also I can prove that by school, college and university letter since I never worked before here. Hopefully the HOC will be good enough to prove towards student finance and university.