ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How becoming British would affect my non-British family?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

friday

How becoming British would affect my non-British family?

Post by friday » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi All,

Does it matter whether I am British or not if I want to invite one of a family member (parents or sister..) to either live for a short period with me in UK? or premanently move to live with me here?

Would being British speed up the process for one of my family to visit me in UK (i.e. obtain a VISA)?

If I get married in the future, what kind of VISA do I need for my wife so that she can live with me here in UK? What are the requirments for her to become British?

Thank you in advance.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: How becoming British would affect my non-British family?

Post by Wanderer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:17 pm

friday wrote:Hi All,

Does it matter whether I am British or not if I want to invite one of a family member (parents or sister..) to either live for a short period with me in UK? or premanently move to live with me here?

Would being British speed up the process for one of my family to visit me in UK (i.e. obtain a VISA)?

If I get married in the future, what kind of VISA do I need for my wife so that she can live with me here in UK? What are the requirments for her to become British?

Thank you in advance.
You can't invite family members to live here either for short periods or perm. The can apply to visit of course. UK discourages chain migration so it's impossible to import family members especially under the current focus immigration has.

WRT to spouse, you need to earn a minimum of £18,600 pa, apply for 2.5 year spouse visa, then a further 2.5 year extension, then ILR for one year and then BC.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

friday

Post by friday » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Thank you very much Wanderer. Very useful information.

Does being British make it easier for a family member to visits me? I previously invited parents while I was on student/work VISA without complications. I thought being a British would be an advantage? I guess I should follow the same route.

What do you mean by WRT please?

Thank you again.

Subtle

Post by Subtle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:31 pm

friday wrote:Thank you very much Wanderer. Very useful information.

Does being British make it easier for a family member to visits me? I previously invited parents while I was on student/work VISA without complications. I thought being a British would be an advantage? I guess I should follow the same route.

What do you mean by WRT please?

Thank you again.
WRT = With Respect To

Not sure if it does help but visitor visa forms generally ask questions like who you are visiting and what their status is. So if you choose British National, then the application may slightly be considered differently as opposed to those who choose Students etc.
The views and opinions expressed in this post are exclusively mine and must be assumed as advice only. These do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of any representative of the UK Home Office.

friday

Post by friday » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:44 pm

All clear now.

Many thanks Subtle.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Also to add:

If you are British, your spouse can apply for British citizenship as soon as they receive ILR. There is no need to spend 12 month on ILR.
If you are non British, then your spouse will need to spend atleast 12 months on ILR before applying for British citizenship.

Re. Visitor visas, the two key factors that are considered:

(a) Whether the visitor can finance the trip on their own and sustain their stay without depending on the public fund
(b) Will the visitor return back to country of residence on completion of the visit

The purpose of visit – whether to see a British family member or a non British family member, whether the person is working or a student - is of lesser importance.

friday

Post by friday » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Thank you ban.s

Good to know about these points especially those related to the visitor VISA.

friday

Post by friday » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi All,

Sorry to bring this up again. I just wanted to confirm the answers for these questions please:

If I am a British citizen and invite my brother or my mother to live with me here in UK, would they be eligible for BC after 10 years living in UK? What is the fastest and easiest way for them to acquire BC? I assume for bother, it would be fast if he arrives here on work VISA (it will take him shorter period for BC? I heard that there are certain rules for single parents?

Thank you in advance.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:31 pm

If they manage to obtain residence for the period of 5 years plus 1 year of ILR.
I am sometimes wrong.

friday

Post by friday » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:47 pm

thanks milan69.

I thought the 5 year +1 year ILR route is for people with working VISA. This route might be an option for my brother. But how would this apply for parents with no ability to work? do you think even if they do not work but reside here for that period, they will be eligible for BC?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:56 pm

That is assuming your parents will even be granted the most difficult visa to obtain - Adult Dependent Relative. Just about impossible with exceptionally few approvals (2 maybe 3 or 4) since the rules changed in July 2012. What country do your parents live in now?

Your brother would need to qualify for a work visa (Tier 2) with sponsorship from a company by himself. You wouldn't be able to assist or sponsor his work visa either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Depending where they come from there is an option that they can apply for asylum.
I am sometimes wrong.

friday

Post by friday » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 pm

hi all, thanks fro your response.

The case regarding my brother is clear. Thanks.

Can I apply for adult dependant relative VISA for a brother or mother? and why it is difficult to obtain? Family lives in Egypt.

friday

Post by friday » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:21 am

Hi All,

I have just noticed that there is a VISA named: "family of a settled person’. I feel that this is exactly what I needed for my brother or mother to live with me here in UK. The eligibility criteria sounds reasonable. I do not understand what you think it is difficult to get this VISA. It seems that I am missing the point here?

May you please let me know what you think.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:58 pm

friday wrote:Hi All,

I have just noticed that there is a VISA named: "family of a settled person’. I feel that this is exactly what I needed for my brother or mother to live with me here in UK. The eligibility criteria sounds reasonable. I do not understand what you think it is difficult to get this VISA. It seems that I am missing the point here?

May you please let me know what you think.
It's impossible for you to sponsor your brother, even if he is dependent financially. There is no visa category for that.

Also to sponsor your mother she'd have to be infirm and there be no local help available that's affordable. Given you'd need to give financial undertakings for five years for any adult dependent and that cost will be far more - it's a catch 27 situation.

Also if the application fails (which it will) you'd have thrown away £1982 and blocked any visit visas since an attempt to settle has been demonstrated.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Double V

Post by Double V » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi

Simillar question.
Can I invite my parents from Pakistan to live here permanently ?
Please note they both over 65years, and have been to UK since 2007 on short 6 months visit visas. And then they return.
They also had 5 year multiple visa. Which is now expired.

I am thinking to have them live with me permanent rather than living here on 6-months - and leave.

They are old, and have no one with them back home.

Thanks

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:19 pm

I think that everything that's been said in this post would apply for your parents.
I am sometimes wrong.