ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will British husband death affect my British citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lucky6
Newly Registered

Will British husband death affect my British citizenship?

Post by Lucky6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi guys,

I am very frustrated with regarding when I am eligible to apply for British citizenship .

My British husband sadly passed away in 2012 and after 6 months waiting time ,finally I received my ILR card in feb 2013. I supposed to apply for british citizen in January 2014 if my husband was still alive but now will I have to be a resident for 5 year before I apply it OR I can apply after one year since I received my ILR ? Pls help!!!

Lucky6
Newly Registered

Post by Lucky6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Pls anyone give some advise?

nemo999
United Kingdom

Re: Will British husband death affect my British citizenship

Post by nemo999 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm

I am not a lawyer but I have read somewhere that they have a clause called "compassionate ground".

Since you sadly lost your husband, you MAY BE eligible for that.

Please call /email homeoffice and confirm. Alternatively, you may speak to an experienced immigration lawyer. They wont charge you much for half hour consultation, may be£75 t o£100 max I guess.

I had used a immigration lawyer (for consultation only) , who charged me just £25 and gave the right advice :lol:

go2khurram
Member of Standing

Post by go2khurram » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't think there is exception for widow or widower of a British Citizen. In my opinion, because you are not currently married to a British Citizen so you cannot make application under section 6(2), means under the resident requirement of 3 years. You can apply under section 6(1) but need to fulfil 5 years residency requirement.
*please do not take this as professional advice**

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Regrettably, it appears not. See this thread with advice from our Moderator/Board Administrator, John.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 67565.html
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.