ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

i missed my flight !! am i breaking the law now??

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

seven ocelots
Newly Registered

i missed my flight !! am i breaking the law now??

Post by seven ocelots » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:54 pm

hello i am a U.S. citizen, i've just missed my flight back to new york for reasons i can't get into... i had only 1 day left on my 6 month visitor visa and now i am worried that i am going to be breaking the law.. would the airport contact immigration and are they going to be looking to deport me now or can i contact them and ask them for a few more days just to get another ticket? i need help here, i don't want to become a "criminal" just because i was stupid and bought my flight the day before my last allowed day to stay, please tell me im not breaking the law and im not going to get deported, i have a partner here and can't be blocked from coming back, please tell me i can contact someone and ask them just for 3 or 4 more days until i have money sent to me so i can buy a flight out again and not miss it this time.. my partner is worried that someone at the airport would contact immigration and say that im trying to overstay but i am only worried that when i contact them that they will tell me i have made i big mistake and won't be able to come back next because overstayed by 3 days on account of a missed flight? any help guys, thank you in advance..

Obie
Ireland

Re: i missed my flight !! am i breaking the law now??

Post by Obie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

I am sure they will understand that it was not your intention to break the law.

Just hold a copy of your missed flight ticket.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm

A 3 day overstay is unlikely to result in a ban - and, indeed, highly unlikely to result in a deportation.

The most that would happen at the airport is that immigration might have a word and hand you some forms. In the event this happens - you'd need to apply for a formal visitor visa before returning to the UK.

The UK generally overlooks overstays up to 28 or 90 days depending on the new visa category. However, you might also need to be prepared for some extra deep questioning on your next visit. Remember that airline passenger lists are shared with the UK authorities - so they can note your departure date.

M.

tamarazm
Newly Registered

Post by tamarazm » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:45 pm

I don't think you are. I am not an expert but I think you would have to overstay by more than 28 days. My brother once over stayed his work permit by 2 weeks but he still managed to come back a umber of time. like I said I am not sure it cld be different for a visitors visa. I hope everything works out. Don't stress too much.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm

I overstayed in Russia by one day, due to delayed flight, learnt my lesson, always arrange flights at least a few days before end of visa.

Luckily I was able to 'pay the fine' to the Officer in the usual manner, i.e. him finding $20 in my wallet when presenting my 'dokumenty'.....

That was 2003 though, I'd probably be sent to help the Russian Soldiers helping the rebels in Ukraine on their holidays in their spare time now....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Thankfully, the UK can take pride in the fact that its immigration law is nothing like the former soviet union.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors