ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence from UK .....ILR Eligibility?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jackson1
Newly Registered

Absence from UK .....ILR Eligibility?

Post by Jackson1 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi,
During my 5 years stay in UK, I was working away from UK for continuous 135 days which was not in UK payroll. For the rest of the period I am permanent UK employee with all my P60 available for all 5 years.
Would I be still eligible for ILR ?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Absence from UK .....ILR Eligibility?

Post by physicskate » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Jackson1 wrote:Hi,
During my 5 years stay in UK, I was working away from UK for continuous 135 days which was not in UK payroll. For the rest of the period I am permanent UK employee with all my P60 available for all 5 years.
This is well-covered ground. You cannot have been absent for more than 180 days in any 12 month period counting back from the date you apply for ILR.

Jackson1
Newly Registered

Post by Jackson1 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:09 pm

thanks...
do i hv to submit proof of absence from uk ?

Go12
Member of Standing

Post by Go12 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Jackson,can u plz elaborate ur visa dates if u don't mind,m also in the same situation

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:54 am

You have to list your absences for each 12 month period over the five years.

Look at page 21 and 27 of the application form.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _10-14.pdf

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:31 pm

There was also a requirement that any absence of over 90 days would "reset your clock" for ILR, i.e. the period counting towards ILR would start from the day you returned from your absence. Not sure if this is still a requirement?

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

That would be if your first entry was delayed more than 90 days.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:22 pm

It wasn't related to your date of entry. If you delayed entry, there were provisions made to allow you to apply for ILR when you were short of the 5 year requirement.

The 90 day requirement meant that even if you overall absences were within limits, any absence of 90 days would reset your clock completely. For example, my absences might be 95 days + 5 days + 5 days, i.e. well within the total absence day limit. However, due one absence being more than 90 days, the 5 year period would count only from the date of re-entry after that absence. For example, if you had a 95 day absence in year 5, you would need to starting counting 5 years for ILR all over again after returning to the UK.

It may be that this doesn't apply any more (with the 180 day per year rules), but this is how it operated previously.

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Jackson1 wrote:Hi,
you are allowed a total of 180 days in the 5 years to be outside the UK.

However any time spent outside on paid annual vacation and business travel whilst based (read: economically active) in the UK is not counted towards the 180 day absence.

Any absences for 90 days or more in a single calendar year reset the clock.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 pm

fielddrive wrote:
you are allowed a total of 180 days in the 5 years to be outside the UK.

However any time spent outside on paid annual vacation and business travel whilst based (read: economically active) in the UK is not counted towards the 180 day absence.

Any absences for 90 days or more in a single calendar year reset the clock.

Totally and completely incorrect. These rules changed some time ago. You are allowed out 180 days in each 12 month period counting back from the time you apply. These can be consecutive days. You can even break up longer absences if you can split them between two twelve month periods counting back from the time you apply. See manci's links above for details!