ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

vinny

Re: ILR Application

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:36 pm

Linor2007 wrote:Originally we were going to apply for permanent residence however, my wifes previous partner would not allow her to have his passport to make the application.
Go ahead with your original idea.

If she retained her rights of residence after her divorce, then her marriage to you is not relevant to her EEA4 application under the EEA regulations.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 pm

Linor2007 wrote:The suggestion from the person that she spoke to today regarding the EEA route was that she could not apply for that any longer as she is now married to a british national and it is now a matter of immigration.

If we go down the FLR(FP) route would that restrict her from working whilst under consideration?
Those people on the phone are customer service assistance. You are best advised to ignore anything they tell you. At the very list take it with a pinch of salt.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Linor2007
Newly Registered

Post by Linor2007 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Am I right in assuming that as my wife was granted the residence card (in form of a stamp in her passport) that she has retained the right of residence, the marriage lasted for longer than three years, they resided in the UK for more than 1 year, she is employed in the Uk and therefore self sufficient?

is that a fair assumption?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Working and self-sufficient are separate categories.

Additionally, in her case, all sections of 10(5), including 10(5)(a) and 10(5)(b), relating to her ex.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Linor2007 wrote:Am I right in assuming that as my wife was granted the residence card (in form of a stamp in her passport) that she has retained the right of residence, the marriage lasted for longer than three years, they resided in the UK for more than 1 year, she is employed in the Uk and therefore self sufficient?

is that a fair assumption?

Requirement of 10(6) will be met as required by 10(5)(c), if she can show self sufficiency or employment.

However the substantive requirement in 10(5) (A) and (B) as cited by Vinny, will need to be met aswell.

Linor2007
Newly Registered

Post by Linor2007 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

10(5) a and b are both met, she stopped being a family member and she was residing in the UK at the time of the termination and the decree absolute was granted in Northern Ireland and she can show employment.

None of you guys based in Northern Ireland - you have been a greater help in two days than our solicitor has been in 6 months, on that, do we have any recourse against the solicitor for their incorrect advice?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Unfortunately i don't live in Northern Ireland. Use to live in the South Several years back.

I think my concern is 10(5)(b).

Was the spouse in the UK working at the time of the divorce.

If not, she will have difficulty demonstrating that she was living in the UK in accordance with the regulation on termination of the marriage.

The Law Society in N. Ireland may be able to help.

In England and Wales we have the SRA.http://www.lawsoc-ni.org/publications/regulations-/

Linor2007
Newly Registered

Post by Linor2007 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm

The spouse in the UK was self employed at the time of the divorce and we have evidence that we can provide as part of the application.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Then there is a decent prospect of success under the regulations, if her case is presented properly.

No need for her to go back home. She will be permitted to work during the process.

Linor2007
Newly Registered

Post by Linor2007 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:53 pm

If the case is presented properly.... would you suggest us continuing to use a solicitor to ensure that the case is presented properly?

Is there any issue with the fact that her residence permit ran out in June 2014 (although we had applied in April 2014).

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:29 pm

Linor2007 wrote:Is there any issue with the fact that her residence permit ran out in June 2014 (although we had applied in April 2014).
As EEA residence documents are not compulsory requirements, I don't see how their dates of expiry matter. She may have attained PR automatically already, if she met all the requirements. Applying for EEA4 is just getting confirmation to show paranoid employers, Immigration Officers, landlords, hospitals, GPs and banks, etc. It's also required for naturalisation.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:18 pm

I concur. The court has ruled in several cases notably MRAX and Royers, that resident permit don't confer rights.

That rights exists independently of a Residence permit.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Moreover, applying for naturalisation after her 5-year residence, given that you are British, probably has better prospects of success than a SET(M) application.

Linor2007
Newly Registered

Post by Linor2007 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi Obie and Vinny. Just want to thank you for being helpful to my husband and for answering his queries. HO granted my application for PR and they are pretty quick in processing it, about 3 months. We're planning now to apply for my naturalisation :D