ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

permanent residence as family member of eea national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naonao
Newly Registered

permanent residence as family member of eea national

Post by naonao » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:22 am

Hi!
I came to the UK Feb 2010 under Tier 2 general visa which got renewed in Feb 2013 and is valid until 2016. I got married to an EEA national in April 2013 and got a resident card so I didn't bother changing my BRP to my married name. My husband has been in the UK since 2004 and 2015 will be my 5th year in the UK. Do I qualify for a permanent residence card or can I apply ILR?
I wanted to have a resident card so I could work somewhere else as the Tier 2 visa ties me with the sponsor.

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Re: permanent residence as family member of eea national

Post by Obie » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 pm

You may qualify for ILR under tier 2 if you continue to meet the conditions attached, in 2015, but for Permanent Residence, you will not qualify under 2018.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

naonao
Newly Registered

Post by naonao » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Thank you for the reply. I read from the government website that I have to be in the UK for 5 years to qualify, but I just wasn't sure if the 5 years would mean exercising treaty rights as family member of my EEA national husband or just 5 years living in the UK by itself.
I might go for the ILR next year if/when I pass the Life in the UK test.
May I just ask, do I still need to take an English exam to prove my proficiency in English when I apply for ILR? I took an IELTS exam in 2009 before I came to the UK, will that still be valid?

Thank you

Milkehad
Newly Registered

Post by Milkehad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi,

The example you have is very similar to mine. Can you please share the requirements you've mentioned?

I have held Tier 1 from October 2010
EEA family member residency permit received in July 2012

When can I apply for ILR and what are the requirements? Thank you!