ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is the next step after spouse visa?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Vb3d

What is the next step after spouse visa?

Post by Vb3d » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:02 pm

My wife got spouse visa on Dec 2012, and will expire on Sep 2015. (she got A1 english)
I am wondering, what is the next step? just to be ready when it is time, and prepare for anything not ready (exams, fees, etc)
Does she apply for indifinte leave?
she had 6 months visitor visa befor her current one that she used from Mar 2012 till August 2012, does this count toward any period required for any application?

Please let me know what is her next visa type.

Also, another quistion
We have a boy, and we will have another
My first child already got British passport, and the second who is due in Apr 2015 would get one too.
Do they count as dependants in the visa application? or is it only for children who need to get visa?

Thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What is the next step after spouse visa?

Post by CR001 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:29 pm

Assuming that your wife applied for spouse visa from her home country as switching in country is not permitted on a spouse visa. From the dates you have mentioned, she applied after 9th July 2012, so will be under the new rules of 5 years residence. She will need to apply for an extension for a further 2.5 years before her current visa expires, meeting all the same requirements again (financial and language).

Make sure you have sufficient cohabitation documents in joint names and individual names at the same address etc.

What is the exact date she applied for her spouse visa?

No, the children are British and do not count as dependents as they do not require visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:45 pm

CR001 wrote:Assuming that your wife applied for spouse visa from her home country as switching in country is not permitted on a spouse visa. From the dates you have mentioned, she applied after 9th July 2012, so will be under the new rules of 5 years residence. She will need to apply for an extension for a further 2.5 years before her current visa expires, meeting all the same requirements again (financial and language).

Make sure you have sufficient cohabitation documents in joint names and individual names at the same address etc.

What is the exact date she applied for her spouse visa?

No, the children are British and do not count as dependents as they do not require visas.
Thank you CR001 for answer

Yes, my wife applied for the spouse visa from her home country.
So what is the 5 years residence application form/visa type called? Can she do it online? what option should she select etc?
I don't remember the exact date, but I am 100% sure was in December 2012, is there any difference between different dates on December 2012?

In regards to language requirment, she already passed the English test and got A1, I believe that she doesn't need to do it again, and she can use the same certificate she used with her last application for her currnet visa, right?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Divorce lol!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:42 pm

@Wanderer - yes, divorce is much cheaper but don't think this is what OP is wanting to hear LOL

If she applied in December 2012, then she is under the new 5 year route. The reason I asked the question is that some applicants who applied before the rule changes on 9th July 2012, got their visa quite late but still fall under the old rules. So this is not the case for you.

She will need to apply for an extension on FLR(M) for a further 2.5 years and it is called a spouse visa and if you don't know this, then I am worried for you.

A little bit early really to be wondering about online applications as anything can change between now and then. Come back when you are actually ready to apply for the extension before her visa expires (she can apply 28 days before). She can apply in person at PSC and get a decision on the same day, or she can apply by post and this will take a few months.

English test she has done should be fine. Please take note of the cohabitation documents, this is very important and must cover the time since she arrived. Also very important to meet the financial requirement at visa extension again.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Vb3d

Post by Vb3d » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:20 pm

CR001 wrote:@Wanderer - yes, divorce is much cheaper but don't think this is what OP is wanting to hear LOL

If she applied in December 2012, then she is under the new 5 year route. The reason I asked the question is that some applicants who applied before the rule changes on 9th July 2012, got their visa quite late but still fall under the old rules. So this is not the case for you.

She will need to apply for an extension on FLR(M) for a further 2.5 years and it is called a spouse visa and if you don't know this, then I am worried for you.

A little bit early really to be wondering about online applications as anything can change between now and then. Come back when you are actually ready to apply for the extension before her visa expires (she can apply 28 days before). She can apply in person at PSC and get a decision on the same day, or she can apply by post and this will take a few months.

English test she has done should be fine. Please take note of the cohabitation documents, this is very important and must cover the time since she arrived. Also very important to meet the financial requirement at visa extension again.
Thank you very much CR001, really appreciated
Will wait till it is time to apply, and if I got any problems I will come back again here

This forum has been very helpfull for me :)