ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you bring your mother if you don't need state funding?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xlnallnat
Newly Registered

Can you bring your mother if you don't need state funding?

Post by xlnallnat » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:41 pm

May I ask if a British citizen can still bring in his mother from Asia for permanent residence if he can prove they will not claim any benefit in England?

Yesterday I received a leaflet from my local MP, who said Immigration is the no.1 concern of residents. She lists measures that the government is supposed to be doing.

Among these measures, there is one which says:

"People wanting to bring their families in must prove that they have the resources to support them without state funding."

Is it the whole story? Is there any other obstacles in reality?

My wife and I are professionals in London, who do not have to claim any state benefit. I was wondering if this fact helps us.

My sincere thanks,

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Can you bring your mother if you don't need state fundin

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Big obstacle.

The cost of the visa (£1960), the fact it will be almost certainly denied, and from then on no more visit visas as an intent to settle has been made.

Search the site, it's a litany of woes, UK gov. and UK people don't want chain migration, it's a vote winner and so is effectively blocked.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 pm

The basic restriction is that your mother must be in a state such that she requires help with everyday tasks (washing, dressing, going out).

This in enhanced with a qualifier that says you must show you cannot afford to hire help locally.

It's further 'enhanced' to add that you must also be able to show you can look after them in the UK without recourse to public funds for 5 years.

The problem is that in 90% of the rest of the world - local help is far more affordable than the cost of keeping an additional person in the UK. So even if you show they need the help - proving you can't find it locally is virtually impossible.

Oh - and everything else Wanderer added about rejection counts, high application costs and refusals of subsequent visit visas.

M.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 pm

As I posted earlier in another thread, I believe the official Home Office statistics show that only 4 elderly dependent visas were granted in 2013.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:24 am

Also I think the very fact you afford the visa costs means you afford the care costs back home...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....