ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for ILR - Absences - Paid employment abroad

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

malikhervas
Newly Registered

Application for ILR - Absences - Paid employment abroad

Post by malikhervas » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi guys,

I have a question with regards to how absences are counted for ILR applications. It's on behalf of a family member. She's been in the country since July 2004 when she was 12 years old but was only granted a discretionary (limited) leave to remain in June 2010 (parents did not apply until 2009). The Discretionary leave to remain was then renewed in December 2013 for another three years (expiring December 2016).She has an opportunity to work abroad for a few months on a student paid internship in between the university degree but is worried not to make a decision that will affect her ILR application in a couple of years. So far, she hasn't travelled outside the country since coming in.

She's planning to apply for ILR in a couple of years but wanted to be sure about a couple of things regarding absences:
1) If she can work (paid) abroad in Europe for a short period
2) How long for, the work contract can be between 4-6 months
3) If this will not affect the application for ILR further down the line

I had a look on the official website but still wasn't sure, there's a mention of "180 days maximum within a consecutive 12 month period" but I've since found some info contradicting this, regards to paid absences and the type of permit held. Would really appreciate if someone can clarify this for me please.

Really appreciate any input.

Thanks,
MH

Obie
Ireland

Re: Application for ILR - Absences - Paid employment abroad

Post by Obie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm

There is no set period of how long a DLR applicant can stay abroad.

DLR is issued outside the immigration rules.

It is governed by executive policies.

I believe a period of 4-6 months work overseas, should be reasonable in all the circumstances.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 pm

There is no set period of how long a DLR applicant can stay abroad.

I believe a period of 4-6 months work overseas, should be reasonable in all the circumstances.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

malikhervas
Newly Registered

Post by malikhervas » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Obie wrote:There is no set period of how long a DLR applicant can stay abroad.

Many thanks for your response Obie.

That's great news. Just to be sure, although this may not affect the extension of the DLR, will this then not affect the ILR application later on since that will be within the immigration rules?