ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DOCTORATE EXTENSION SCHEME....WHAT NEXT?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jeffreys
Newly Registered

DOCTORATE EXTENSION SCHEME....WHAT NEXT?

Post by Jeffreys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 pm

I am on the 12 months Doctorate extension scheme. My question is that after the expiration of the 12 months what the possible switching options into other Visa categories. Please assist with your advice

monky123
Newly Registered

Re: DOCTORATE EXTENSION SCHEME....WHAT NEXT?

Post by monky123 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Jeffreys,

Can you explain, when did you apply for doctorate extension?
Was that one month before completion of 3 years? while your visa still left for 4 to 5 months?

i.e. You got PDd visa for 3 years and 4 months. Right?
you apply for one year extension and what is total length of both visa?
3 + 1 years = 4 years total
or
3 year 4 months + 1 Year = total 4 years + 4 month?

I am not sure whether they include 4 months in extension. as I am aware you have to apply 1 month before completion of 3 years study.

Please clarify the whole process.

Jeffreys
Newly Registered

Post by Jeffreys » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi Monky

Yes I applied within the month of the completion date o my PHD and I got the DES. This means that the 4 months remaining on my Student Visa is no longer valid.

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Jeffreys wrote:I am on the 12 months Doctorate extension scheme. My question is that after the expiration of the 12 months what the possible switching options into other Visa categories. Please assist with your advice
Tier 2 general or tier 1 entrepreneur would be the most obvious options depending on your skills etc

ktyagi
India

Post by ktyagi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:51 pm

I have a query regarding the english language ability for Doctoral Extension Scheme (DES) Visa application. I have received a CAS from my university to support my application for DES. The problem however is that it mentions nothing about my english language ability. My understanding is that for DES applications, just like the earlier Tier 4 general student visa, applicants still need to show that they are proficient in the English language.

Point no. 56 of " Sponsor a Tier 4 student: guidance for educators, Document 2: assigning 'confirmation of acceptance for studies' and sponsoring students" from
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... udents.pdf

states that;
“56. If you are sponsoring a student for DES, they will need to satisfy the normal English language requirements for PhD level students. However as PhD students are studying a course at degree level or above with an HEI, you can make your own assessment of the students English language ability. This assessment could for example be based on your experience of this student and their progress to date during their studies.”

So my question is: Is it required to be explicitly mentioned on the DES CAS about English proficiency? Or, is it automatically understood that once a university is supporting a DES applicant then the university has confirmed the language ability?
Can someone else who has applied for DES visa confirm or suggest what was indicated on their CAS?