ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Qualifying period question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Tea_with_scones
Newly Registered

Qualifying period question

Post by Tea_with_scones » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I am writing here after reading this particular post. I am interested in naturalising as a British Citizen but need a bit of help figuring out how much of my Qualifying Period (QP) I have already accrued.

Here are the facts:
- Claiming to be a "Student" for the entirety of the QP
- First ever entry into the UK on a non-EU visa (student): 29 August 2008
- Total uninterrupted time covered by 3 different non-EU visas (2x student + 1x Tier4): 29 August 2008 - 31 October 2013
- Obtained EU nationality: 05 May 2011
- Obtained comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI): 05 October 2011 <- Start of the QP?

Now to the question: 6 years (5 for PR + 1 more) from 05 October 2011 would mean that I would be ready to be naturalised in October 2017. But what about the years spent on the non-EU visa? Can I include them in the count too?

Arguments:
- EU nationality obtained by right of ancestry: grandparents had it and I was eligible to obtain it since birth.
- According to the Ziolkowski case in the quoted thread, I am reckoning that time spent on the non-EU visas could count towards the permanent residence requirement
- You don't have to have CSI while on a non-EU visa
- There is overlap between getting CSI on an EU passport (05 october 2011) and the extent of my T4 visa (which ran up to oct 2013)

What do you think? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tea_with_scones
Newly Registered

Re: Qualifying period question

Post by Tea_with_scones » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Bump! Anyone have anything?

Tea_with_scones
Newly Registered

Post by Tea_with_scones » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Another bump! It was the weekend after all, maybe someone will see this! :)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:30 pm

In case you're not getting responses, you could try to post on Britishexpats.com. There are a few guys who are really knowledgable about British citizenship applications there.

Good luck.

Tea_with_scones
Newly Registered

Post by Tea_with_scones » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:14 pm

chaoclive wrote:In case you're not getting responses, you could try to post on Britishexpats.com. There are a few guys who are really knowledgable about British citizenship applications there.

Good luck.
Thanks, will give it a try there!