ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can UK born child get OCI.?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

win99

Can UK born child get OCI.?

Post by win99 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Hi Admin,

My kid was born in UK so he has got british passport later got PIO card.

My self recently got the british passport and now i am applying for OCI

Could someone please calrify below questions.

1: Can i apply for OCI card for my kid along with my application.? Is he allowed to get OCI.?

2: Is it possible to surrender indian passport and apply for OCI card at the same day.? (Tried to search on this forum however haven't got correct answer)

3.I have got the naturalization certificate on Oct 15 and as per the rules can i use the indian passport for travel upto 3 months from date of naturalization with out having a penalty.?

4. What is the dead line to surrender indian passport .? In this forum somewhere i have found it is 3 years is it correct.?

Thanks in advance

ban.s

Re: Can UK born child get OCI.?

Post by ban.s » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:00 am

1. yes he child can apply for OCI but why do you want to do so? there is no benefit as such.

2. no, passport surrender and OCI application are two separate processes. they need to be done sequentially.

3. correct

4. upto 3 years from naturalisation provided you don't use the passport for travel. if you have used the passport for travel, then it needs to be surrendered within 90 days from naturalisation.

win99

Post by win99 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks ban.s

win99

Post by win99 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm

HI ban.s

I just came to know that a person who visits india with PIO card ,he need to register in local police station within first 15 days of the visit if the stay is for longer than 6 months - Is this true ? if so does this rule applies for OCI card as well.? (I will go ahead depending on the answer)

I am planning to surrender asap but just to know what is the procedure if we are not able to surrender the passport within the 90 days.?

Please let me know. thanks.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:49 pm

That rule has been changed now. PIOs are not longer required to register with police for stay beyond 6 months.
Minors were exempted from police registration anyway..so this change is applicable to adult PIO holders.

OCI card holders don't need to register with police.

See below confirmation - https://www.hcilondon.in/pressview.php?category_id=1171

PS: also as per old rule, PIOs were required register with police before completion of 180 days if they were planning to stay beyond 180 days. So this could be done even on the 180th day!
Registration with police within 15 days for stay beyond 180 days is applicable to non PIO foreigners.

win99

Post by win99 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Much helpfull. thanks ban.s

Is there any validity difference between OCI and PIO? if not may i know what is the main difference.?

Intially i thought it would be better if kid and myself holding the same type of indian visas however if there is no difference i will go ahead with OCI and kid will stay with OCI.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:49 pm

with PIO card been made lifelong and police registration condition removed, from travel, economic and other practical purposes, there isn't any difference between OCI and PIO. In the coming months both these will be merged onto the single route 'Overseas Indian Card' (subject to the formal clearance of Indian Citizenship Amendment Bill 2014).

There are few other differences between PIO and OCI but these are mainly related to the regaining of Indian citizenship status (should someone wishes in future) e.g. number of years need to be spent on OCI vs PIO etc.

win99

Post by win99 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 am

Hi Ban.S

My kid currently got the PIO

My question is , since now PIO has been cancelled , Do i need to cancel/convert my son PIO and apply for OCI now.?

My self i have got the british passport and also got the surrender certificate. Now i need to apply for OCI.

If i need to get OCI for my son , i am planning to send both applications together if not will send only my application.

Please let me know.

Thanks

win99

Post by win99 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:00 am

Can somebody please help me with the question.?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 pm

PIO has not cancelled. The route has been closed and merged with OCI. All existing PIO card holders have been extended the benefits of OCI.
There is no need for the child to immediately apply for OCI, you can do that once the child's passport is renewed.

win99

Post by win99 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Thank you very much Ban.S

For now I will keep my son PIO as it is