ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap allowed between Naturalization and Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

manoharlinux
Newly Registered

Gap allowed between Naturalization and Passport

Post by manoharlinux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 pm

HI Guys,

my wife got Naturalized first week of November and we need to travel India for medical urgency of a family person.
I know we may have to pay fine to Indian embassy while canceling Indian passport.

but my query here is how long can we wait before applying for UK passport (now that we have UK Naturalization certificate in hand).

your replies are really appreciated. I could not get any answer to this by searching previous post in this forum.

Cheers!!

manoharlinux
Newly Registered

Re: Gap allowed between Naturalization and Passport

Post by manoharlinux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:06 pm

got this post which says we can wait as long as we need ...is it true ..how can we cross check ??
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 36282.html

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 pm

There is no law that says you have to have a British Passport, you can apply for one whenever you want to. However, you have 90 days grace period from date of the citizenship ceremony to surrender the Indian passport or pay a fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

paperthin
Newly Registered

Post by paperthin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

There is no UK law obliging citizens to hold a passport or another form of identity document. As British citizen, you *may* apply for a British passport or another identity document.

If you want to prove you are British, your birth certificate (in case of UK born citizens) or registration/naturalisation certificate is sufficient.

If you want to travel outside the common travel area (UK+ROI+crown dependencies), you then need to hold a passport.

To sum up, there is no time limit when to apply for a passport because holding a UK passport is *not* compulsory in the first place.

Hope I've made it very clear.

manoharlinux
Newly Registered

Post by manoharlinux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the replays , we at least have a way to travel (but with fines)