ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After becoming British,do I need to be on electoral register

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

friday

After becoming British,do I need to be on electoral register

Post by friday » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi All,

After becoming a British citizen, is it a must for my name to be on the electroal register even if I do not plan to vote?

Many thanks in advance.

MSaxp

Re: After becoming British,do I need to be on electoral regi

Post by MSaxp » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:27 pm

"It is a criminal offence not to complete and return the annual voter registration form (which could lead to a fine of up to £1,000), or to provide false or inaccurate information (which could lead to a fine of up to £5,000 or a term of imprisonment for a term not exceeding 51 weeks). You may also be subject to a Civil Penalty Notice of £80 if you fail to respond to a personal request to register."

Why wouldnt you anyway? You can opt out of the edited register and you dont have to vote

friday

Post by friday » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:33 pm

thanks msxp for the inforamtion. Very useful.

I just thought it is only for house/flat owners. What about if I currently rent a flat and possibly will move out after few months? do I still need to register? I mean this flat will be occupied by different tennants and all will be on the same address in register?

Thank you again.

Malik44

Post by Malik44 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Whenever you change your address or move to another address you can update your details online
https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

or by post
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-versions

your previous record automatically shifted to new address.

friday

Post by friday » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Thank you Malik44 for your help.

By the way, how do they know if I am a British citizen?

I have just completed the registration and most of the information required were general! They did not ask for passport number. They only asked for NI number and I do not think that someone check nationality based on NI number?

Thanks.

Julian11

Post by Julian11 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

The form asks for nationality.

friday

Post by friday » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Julian11, you are right. The form asks for nationality.

But how do they confirm your nationality? someone can register and claim to be of any nationality?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Unless they were British or a national of an EU or Commonwealth country they wouldn't be completing the form!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

friday

Post by friday » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:21 am

Sorry if I might be missing the point here.

How would the council ( responsible for the electoral register) confirm a person's nationality? When I completed the registration online, they did not ask for proof of nationality.

Thanks.

MSaxp

Post by MSaxp » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:11 am

Why would they want to confirm it? If you went to vote, they would confirm it there.

bubulinea
Newly Registered

Post by bubulinea » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 am

I completed the registration online and, like you, I wasn't asked for any other proof of identity other than National Insurance Number. I received a letter from my council requesting Documentary Evidence. According to the letter my online application was not successful because the information I provided to them could not be matched against government records to confirm my identity.

I scanned the documents they wanted and sent them via email.

friday

Post by friday » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:26 am

bubulinea, thanks for your help.

Can you please let me know when did you recieve the letter from the council asking for documents? Is it a long time after you registered online? Would it be possible to let me know what were the documents required to sent to them?

Also, how long would it take for them to process your documents before completing the whole process?

I thought that I am done after I got my British passport, but it seems that the applying/waiting process continues!

Thank you in advance.

bubulinea
Newly Registered

Post by bubulinea » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 am

Hey Friday,

Sure, no problem. Please keep in mind that I don't have the British passport yet, nor do I have a UK photo driving license. I still have my EU driving license. I will apply once I am back from a 10 day holiday starting next week. Here's a timeline

British citizenship ceremony: November 17th
Registered online for electoral register: November 17th
Letter received: November 20th, asking to provide further documentary evidence.

They sent me a form with my name and address already filled in. On that form there are three tables to choose from
- Table 1: Primary Identification Documents (e.g. passport, UK photo driving licence, etc.)
- Table 2: Trusted Government Documents (e.g. birth/marriage certificate, etc)
- Table 3: Financial and Social History Documents (e.g. Mortgage statement, utility bill, etc.)

Furthermore, it says: You must provide copies of:
Either: One document from table 1
Or: One document from table 2 and two additional documents from either table 2 or table 3
Or: Four or more documents from table 3

I then called them up asking if my Turkish passport, which is the only one I have at the moment, would fulfill the requirements of table 1 as it doesn't specify which passport it can be. They told me that I should scan the relevant pages of my passport along with my Certificate of Naturalisation and send them via email. So that's what I did. Additionally, I sent them a scanned copy of my birth and marriage certificate and the Home Office letter approval of my application of Naturalisation. I buried them under Documentary Evidence, so to say. Six hours later I got this via email:
Thank you for your reply. You will receive confirmation once your application has been processed.
I have no idea how long it'll take. You, however, seem to have the British passport already and it shouldn't be a problem to just send a copy of it.

On a side note, you'd assume that your council already has all the information required for the electoral registry as they have been a) informed by the Home Office of the approval of your naturalisation and b) performed the citizenship ceremony. But hey, I am willing to jump through some more hoops to make sure that my vote is one vote against UKIP.

friday

Post by friday » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am

bubulinea: All is clear now. Thank you very much for your detailed reply. That is kind of you.