ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU family member question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

damla
Newly Registered

EU family member question

Post by damla » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi, I am an EU family member who entered on a Schengen visa (which I got for free at a consulate in my country). For the schengen visa I know I can stay for 90 days then must leave for 90 before returning, but as a family member I also know I technically do not need the visa, just that it makes entry less complicated.

I am planning to become a resident here but due to complications it is taking longer than I hoped, so I would like to ask:

What will happen to me if I stay here for 90 or more days without becoming a resident?

Technically I have the right to stay here, but the visa I entered on says otherwise.

Thanks very much!

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: EU family member question

Post by sheraz7 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:16 pm

In order to stay longer there, your EU national partner need to start exercising its treaty rights.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

mgb

Re: EU family member question

Post by mgb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:12 pm

[quote="damla"]
What will happen to me if I stay here for 90 or more days without becoming a resident?

[/quote]

It depends on the country. Normally you should apply for a residence permit in the first 90 days. Some countries give you 4 month.
In the worst case you have to pay a fine if you don't apply/register in the right time frame.
Technically a family member of a eu citizen cannot overstay a visa if the eu citizen is residing in the guest country at the same time.