ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question regarding "family of a settled person" visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

southerndb
Newly Registered

Question regarding "family of a settled person" visa

Post by southerndb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi all,

I'm just starting to get my head round all the immigration rules, but hopefully someone can help with this question....

I'm a UK citizen, my girlfriend is a non-EEA citizen. In the future we're hoping to get married, and then for her to move back to the UK under a family of a settled person visa.

Looking through the requirements, it states that you need to meet the financial requirement of £18,600 p.a. Does that mean that she needs to be earning this much, or that I do?

If someone can help me out that would be grand! (apologies if this has been asked before!)

Cheers,

DB

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Question regarding "family of a settled person" visa

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:52 pm

As the sponsor, you need to be earning at least £18,600 per annum unless you have substantial savings to make up the shortfall.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

southerndb
Newly Registered

Post by southerndb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks for confirming. That actually makes sense now that I think about!

Appreciate the advice :)

DB

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:57 pm

You're welcome.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

southerndb
Newly Registered

Help regarding visa extensions/options

Post by southerndb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:23 am

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give my girlfriend and I some advice.

I'm a UK citizen, work full time, and a home owner. My girlfriend is a Kazakh national who is currently on a Tier 4 student visa which is due to expire at the end of January 2015, now that she has finished her masters degree.

We met in March 2014, and in August 2014 she moved in with me. I registered her with the local council and she is now paying council tax.

Since finishing her degree she has been looking for job with a Tier 2 sponsor but has had no luck so far.

We're trying to find a way that would allow her to continue her stay in the UK, so that:

1. We can continue to be together.

2. Ultimately for her to find a job here.

Does anyone know if there are any options that would be available to us (extensions/different types of visa)? We're both 100% sure that we want to be together, and whilst going down the marriage is an option we both feel that it would be the wrong reason to do it so soon (it kind of takes the importance away).

I've been trying to make sense of the rules, but they can be quite confusing.

Apologies for the rambling message, but if anyone has any advice, or experience that they can share, it would be much appreciated.

DB

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Help regarding visa extensions/options

Post by Wanderer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:09 am

Other than marriage or the extremely remote chance of a T2G, unlikely as its difficult to justify sponsoring someone for a highly skilled role who has no experience, best option is another student visa to rack up two years living together for an Unmarried partner visa in 2016.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

southerndb
Newly Registered

Marriage Visa Process

Post by southerndb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi all,

Can I just confirm that I've understood the process for applying for a marriage visa/right to remain with a family member correctly.

My girlfriend and I apply for the marriage visa first so that we can get married in the UK (she will be outside of the UK at this point).

Once granted she can stay for 6 months on this visa before having to leave and during this time we have the ceremony.

Within that 6 months we can then apply for her to "remain in the UK with family".

As we've been together less than 2 years, we can only apply down the 2 year route.

Is that correct way of doing it?

I'm also wondering how successful the route is? Are the UKBA really tough on these sorts of visas? In other words, are my girlfriend and I doomed? :(

Cheers,

DB

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Marriage Visa Process

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 pm

You don't need to have been in a relationship for 2 years. You're confusing this with the Unmarried Partner visa. Apply for a fiance visa - VAF4a and marry within 6 months. Immediately after the wedding apply for a spouse visa on form FLR(M) which will grant a 2.5 year extension. After the initial 2.5 year period your wife will have to apply for a further 2.5 year extension before qualifying for permanent residence - ILR.
Most importantly, in order to meet the financial condition, you must show that you as the sponsor, are earning a minimum of £18,600 per annum.
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk
(Casa, not CR001)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:49 pm

If she is already in the UK with leave granted for over six months, then can you marry her before her leave expires? Then she may apply directly for FLR(M) (5-year route, Appendix FM-SE, Guidance).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks Vinny. I'm guessing that threads have been merged, so I missed the original information. :?
(Casa, not CR001)

southerndb
Newly Registered

Post by southerndb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it.

Vinny, did you mean that she needs 6 months left on her current visa? Unfortunately her Tier 4 visa expires at the end of Jan, so I think we're cutting it a bit fine for applying for everything.

DB

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 pm

What Vinny meant was that if she was already in the UK where the current visa she was on was for longer than 6 months (not 6 months remaining but the original grant was longer than 6 months) then you can marry and apply for the spouse visa directly in the UK.

Given you only have to give 15 days notice - you could be married by mid-December if you gave notice today and have the visa application in the post the following day if she meets all the requirements.

As long as the new visa is applied for while the old visa is valid - it doesn't matter if UKBA take 10 years to make a decision - her current leave continues until the decision is made. The problems start if you apply AFTER the visa expires.

M.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 am

Yes, thanks. I've edited my previous post accordingly by adding the word "granted".

I did merge the threads together as Casa correctly summised.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

southerndb
Newly Registered

Post by southerndb » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice, and merging my posts....helps keep all my thoughts in the same place!

Would another option be to apply for a marriage/fiance visa now before her student visa expires, thus giving us 6 months to plan, organise and get married before applying down FLR(M) route?

If she returns to her country, would it be harder to get a marriage visa approved and for her to get back across?

Apologies for asking more questions, but I want to make sure I understand all of the options available to us.

Cheers,

DB

Rayking

Post by Rayking » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 am

No,it shouldn't be difficult. You can get married here or any other place. You might need to proof you've be communicating with each other though.
She might get fiancee visa too but she will have to go back first,because she can't get it from withing UK. This also depend on if you're ready to spend 885+,then 600+ thereafter.
As long as you meet ALL the requirements, it will be approved.