ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

us transit visa query

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

abc_hsmp
Newly Registered

us transit visa query

Post by abc_hsmp » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:28 pm

I hold an Indian passport and am travelling to Mexico. My flight is from london and have a connecting flight in Miami after a layover of 4 hours. Would I need a transit visa for changing my flights in Miami? I am ot coming out of the airport.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: us transit visa query

Post by Christophe » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:37 am

abc_hsmp wrote:I hold an Indian passport and am travelling to Mexico. My flight is from london and have a connecting flight in Miami after a layover of 4 hours. Would I need a transit visa for changing my flights in Miami? I am ot coming out of the airport.
Yes, I believe so. Apart from anything else, you will have to go through passport control. Because of the way US airports are set up it is not possible, with very few exceptions, to transit through the US on the way to another country without clearing US immigration and customs, notwithstanding the fact that you may be going to be in the US for only a matter of a couple of hours, and there is not any longer any provision for tranist without visa.

(In general, international flights and and domestic US flights all leave from the same part of the airport. Emigration controls are conducted by the airlines, who remove the departing passenger visitors' cards (Form I-94, I think) from passports - you ought to give yours to airline staff at the desk by the gate where your flight to Mexico leaves from.

I am sure that if what I have said does not apply to Miami airport, someone will correct me.)

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 am

If you don't want to deal with US immigration you can always fly through Madrid. Iberia and Mexicana operate direct flights from there to Mexico City.

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:45 pm

You most definitely need a transit visa, whether you're leaving the airport or not. If you don't have one you won't be allowed on the plane so either book your visa appointment sharpish or change your ticket to one via Madrid as suggested.