ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa and Mortgages

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sjs
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa and Mortgages

Post by sjs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Firstly hello all!

I am currently living with my wife in the UK, and have been for around 1 year so far. She is of Ukrainian nationality and has a Settlement visa - as a Wife.

We have recently made an application for a mortgage, together, but our preferred lender has queried if she is a permanent resident. Of course, i supplied a copy of the passport with visa attached, but the progress seems to be slowing.

There are other lenders which would be happy to lend us the money, but i am going for a 100%+ mortgage, and the lender is insistent of this evidence.

Can anyone clear this up for me? As i understand, any settlement visa is 'checked' after the first two years to ensure, well, we are still together, for immigration reasons, but does this mean she is not yet a permanent resident? If this is the case, can people during their first two years here not apply for their own house? Surely it is a clause of the visa to prove self sufficiency (as such) to remain in the country.

We are currently very eager to push the mortgage though so we can make an offer on our desired property. Yes there are other options we can look into if it is the case, but i cannot see the problem here.

Any advice will be very very well received.

Thanks!

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:29 pm

I don't think she is considered a permanent resident until she has ILR. However, there are people that have gotten mortgages when one spouse has FLR. I think it just takes a bit of shopping around to different lenders.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 pm

What exactly is the wording on the Visa? As far as I know, a settlement visa is ILE (issued by an British Consulate abroad), though I could be wrong.

sjs
Newly Registered

Post by sjs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 pm

details are as follows;

Type : Multi
Name : Visa Wife - Spouse of 'me, myself'
Passport number: xxx
Obsrv. No recourse o public funds

it clearly shows expiry date pf 17/11/08 and has no mention of ILR.

Maybe i was just presuming? we were always told there is a visa review after 2 years, but no mention to us that this meant she would not be considered as a resident.

All being so, must we wait the full 2 years before applying for ILR? wish i had known this earlier :oops: thanks for the comments

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:43 pm

The time to apply for ILR is within 28 days of the expiry of the visa. Unfortunately you can't apply any sooner. She is resident in the UK, but not considered a PERMANENT resident. There is a clear expiry date on a spousal visa; once she has ILR she can remain indefinitely. That said, make enquiries with other lenders and see what's available. You may find one willing to work with you.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 pm

And remember this next visa is a whacking £750, £950 in person.

U'll need a mortgage for that!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 pm

bbdivo wrote:What exactly is the wording on the Visa? As far as I know, a settlement visa is ILE (issued by an British Consulate abroad), though I could be wrong.
All applications made on the VAF-2 is called 'Settlement', but depending on the circumstances, it will be a Fiance Visa or Spouse visa or ILE for different stages of relationship for heterosexual couples.
Jabi

ilm

Post by ilm » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:09 pm

A lot of mortgage companies will not lend to those who have a time limited visa. There are companies who will do it but expect to pay higher interest.

Natiowide wouldn't take my wifes salary into account when I wanted to increase the mortgage. Ironically we didn't need her salary in the end but out of principle I did not give them the business.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 pm

A lot of mortgage companies will not lend to those who have a time limited visa.
I agree. sjs, seriously consider using a mortgage broker who will be able to pick up on the point at issue here and direct you only to mortgage providers who feel able to lend to people in your circumstance.
John

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Try Halifax - they definitely give mortgages to people on time limited visas. I only got ILR last year and I have bought 2 properties with them since I moved to the UK (including one on my own with just a year left on my permit free training ltr)

sjs
Newly Registered

Post by sjs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:53 pm

thanks for all the comments. We were in the process of working through the best rates / fees in regards to lenders. We will look into other lenders with all your comments in mind.

thanks again